Storing Grasses

Status
Not open for further replies.

janiedough

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
South Louisiana
I live in Louisiana, and everywhere I look there are dandelions, clovers, crab grass, banana leaves, hibiscus, etc.

Basically tort heaven. However, come winter (which granted is only a few months long) this stuff will start to disappear.

I want to store some of this stuff - dry it or freeze it or something - for winter. I think if I can figure this out now it will be greatly beneficial especially considering Percy is a sulcata and will get huge and really hungry. I want him eating good even in the summer.

I know I can buy his food, but I want to figure out how to save this great stuff growing around me for FREE.

Anyone have any idea how to do this - how to take the stuff growing around me right now and store it for the winter?

JustAnja

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arkansas
Sorry but drying and freezing just wont work. They will be slimey when you defrost them. Its best to try and grow some stuff indoors for winter if you can. Pot up some of those dandelions and start a few trays of different grasses in Fall. :)

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
If you can get him on Hay,, its easily stored and available year round. You can pick grasses and dry them, much like hay... but buying it is easier.. Try your local feed store or where ever they sell horse hay.

Status
Not open for further replies.