My Greek seems always hungry?!

Safarigirl77

I have a juvenile Greek. (I haven't had him very long and I'm still learning.) He seems happy and is active. He has quite the appetite! Which leads to my question. It seems like he wants to eat all day! I've been feeding him mostly a store bought spring mix. I do pick some clover, dandilion greens and various other weeds from the yard, which he really likes. (Unfortunately the stuff from the yard will be coming to an end, as I'm in Minnesota and it will be winter soon!) In addition I keep Mazuri pellets available moistened for him. He won't touch it (I've been giving him the calcium powder sprinkled on his food every other day also.)
He seems like he's constantly hungry all day. Is this normal? How often should he be eating? I know he's really just a baby but I feel like I'm feeding him all day long and he still looks for food!

Is he bored? I don't want to overfeed. But don't want him to be hungry either. Suggestions/ advice appreciated!

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Bixby
I have a juvenile Greek. (I haven't had him very long and I'm still learning.) He seems happy and is active. He has quite the appetite! Which leads to my question. It seems like he wants to eat all day! I've been feeding him mostly a store bought spring mix. I do pick some clover, dandilion greens and various other weeds from the yard, which he really likes. (Unfortunately the stuff from the yard will be coming to an end, as I'm in Minnesota and it will be winter soon!) In addition I keep Mazuri pellets available moistened for him. He won't touch it (I've been giving him the calcium powder sprinkled on his food every other day also.)
He seems like he's constantly hungry all day. Is this normal? How often should he be eating? I know he's really just a baby but I feel like I'm feeding him all day long and he still looks for food!

Is he bored? I don't want to overfeed. But don't want him to be hungry either. Suggestions/ advice appreciated!

Give more food! If he's hungry feed him. Is this the same tort you couldn't get to eat a few weeks ago?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Can't really over feed a baby. I feed my almost year old leopard a big pile at least the size of him if not more in the morning and again in the evening. Up the food a little. If he eats it all, up it a little more. I like to feed enough where there is some left over to the next feeding. That way they can eat when ever. Don't forget, in the wild they don't have feeding schedules. The graze at different times all day.

Safarigirl77

Thank you! Just today I have given him 4 piles, (about the size of him) throughout the day, which he munched, trampled some and left some uneaten. Each time I see him siffing around the food area I gave him fresh food... he acts hungry even though there is still food left from his previous meal? He also seems to prefer being hand fed. As he will eat the leftovers out of my hand but not from his dish!
How can I get him to eat the pellets? Is he just being picky?

(Sadly, the hatchling I had a few weeks ago did not make it )

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
Thank you! Just today I have given him 4 piles, (about the size of him) throughout the day, which he munched, trampled some and left some uneaten. Each time I see him siffing around the food area I gave him fresh food... he acts hungry even though there is still food left from his previous meal? He also seems to prefer being hand fed. As he will eat the leftovers out of my hand but not from his dish!
How can I get him to eat the pellets? Is he just being picky?

(Sadly, the hatchling I had a few weeks ago did not make it )
Sorry to hear about the hatchling:(

Let this one eat, that's always a good sign. Some take time to eat pellets. What type of pellets are they? Try crushing them up and mixing in with the greens to start.

Safarigirl77

I was crushed when I lost that baby as I tried so hard to keep him going :(
Thank you-
They're Mazuri brand pellets. I do add water so they're soft for him. I've tried putting with his greens (he eats around the pellets and eats the greens, little stinker..) I've also tried just serving on the side in a small shallow dish and he doesn't go near it. I appreciate the advice!

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
I understand, I've lost a few too.

With my small leopard I take a pellet and crush it into a powder then wet the green a little so it sticks to them.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Hi @Safarigirl77 and a very warm welcome to the forum! :D

Any pics of your tort and his enclosure?

By the way I've had a Greek tort - OLI - for about 5.5 years. He eats well, however in Winter he does lose appetite; although he does not hibernate.

Terribly sorry to have heard that you lost a hatchling. :(

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

Part of the problem is that spring mix is lacking fiber. He needs food with more fiber in it. More weeds. If you must use grocery store foods then favor endive and escarole, but use lots of variety. Also get some ZooMed Grassland pellets and mix that in. Soak a small piece of a broken pellet and then mix it in with the days greens. He may be reluctant to try it at first, most tortoises don't like any kind of change, but the added fiber and variety will be very good for him. You can also use blended grass hay or Tyler's "herbal hay" for the same purpose.
http://www.tortoisesupply.com/HerbalHay
Don't be scared off by the $25 price tag. One pound will last your baby a year or more.

Which type of Mazuri have you got? Many tortoises don't like the LS type. You might have better luck with the regular type and mixing it in with the greens.

He should only get calcium twice a week in a very small amount. 3-4 days a week is too much.

Safarigirl77

This is great info. Thank you! :) I will check that out.
It is the Mazuri LS.
I'll have to look a little harder at different grocery stores. For now I'm able to offer him a wide variety of weeds/greens from my the yard as well as the spring mix. But I live in Minnesota and winter/snow will be here soon.