How much is enough?

Saf04

Hi, I've had my Russian Tortoise for two days now and the first day I put a variety of greens that measured to be a little smaller then what he was and left them in his cage. By the time he went to bed, he had eaten all of it. Today I gave him as much as he would eat for twenty minutes..which I think was more towards half an hour. But when he was done, he's still wandering around his cage getting little pieces that he missed earlier. So it seems he's still hungry, should I feed him more? I'm concerned cause I saw in multiple sources that overfeeding is a problem, but i also don't want to deprive him of food.

maddylyn

Location (City and/or State)
Huntington, NY
Saf04 said:
I have exactly the same question....We got Shelly on christmas and Im so confused about how often and how much to feed her!

Hi, I've had my Russian Tortoise for two days now and the first day I put a variety of greens that measured to be a little smaller then what he was and left them in his cage. By the time he went to bed, he had eaten all of it. Today I gave him as much as he would eat for twenty minutes..which I think was more towards half an hour. But when he was done, he's still wandering around his cage getting little pieces that he missed earlier. So it seems he's still hungry, should I feed him more? I'm concerned cause I saw in multiple sources that overfeeding is a problem, but i also don't want to deprive him of food.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I feed so there is always a little left over the next day. That way I know he will have enough to eat and can eat at it several times throughout the day instead of just in the a.m. Tortoises graze more then just in the morning.

Saf04

Re: RE: How much is enough?

wellington said:
I feed so there is always a little left over the next day. That way I know he will have enough to eat and can eat at it several times throughout the day instead of just in the a.m. Tortoises graze more then just in the morning.

Thank you! I just gave him some more greens and he's a happy camper:)

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Thats the question of the day . Tortoises walk and graze all morning the hide out in the heat of the day . When it cools down you guessed it they graze again . So put two or more food stations in so they can graze . Make them walk around this will keep them slim and trim happy and full . Always feed them more than they can eat but make them work .

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
This depends on the age and size of your tortoise, the size of the enclosure and what you are feeding him.

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
I think they are often not well fed in their previous situation so they try to catch up when they get good food from us. Is he heavy for his size? He should be. If he's very light & leaving no leftovers you might even offer a second meal during the day.

Once he's at a good weight you have the option to cut back to one meal a day (easier on you) or reduced portions.