Storm anxiety?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarianneL711

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
NYC
So i have been noticing Hudson getting very active to the point of almost panicky and it seems to correlate with some thunderstorms we have been having lately. He also has been finding securer-seeming places when he's out and about in the apt during these times. Like in between my shoes lol. Now storm anxiety is normally something I associate with dogs (my old dog used to try to hide in the weirdest places) but is it possible in this scenario? Pic attached of Hudson between my shoes lol. ImageUploadedByTortForum1369262654.257626.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

IRTehDuckie

5 Year Member
Utica. MI
ive noticed the same thing with my sulcata, whenever we are going to have a big storm, Ted frantically runs around trying to find somewhere to hide!

MarianneL711

5 Year Member
NYC
Yes! He bugs out in the tank so I let him out and he ends up between my shoes or other weird spots he normally wouldn't go in.

laney

5 Year Member
Aberdeen, Scotland
I think most if not all animals can sense things like this, just my opinion though.
Poor things must be scared, hope you are all ok x

MarianneL711

5 Year Member
NYC
Funny how it doesn't effect his appetite though. I just fed him and now he's sleeping peacefully or as i like to put it, in a food coma lol.

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
I think my Russians can sense storms coming, too. They are usually out and about, and the male especially is quite active. However, the past couple days we've had some cooler weather and rains, and they stayed hidden in their caves the whole time. I've seen them do that sort of thing before, too. I think it's because they can feel changes in the weather, probably by detecting a drop in the barometric pressure. Interesting stuff!

gregcalverley0327

10 Year Member!
I believe all animals can sense storms and such, like dogs and cats. Seems like it anyway

0.3.0 sulcata tortoise
(Manavi, aspen, Bronx)
1.0.0 Russian tortoise
(Ivan)
1 Great Dane
(Koko)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm sure they sense the change in barometric pressure and know when a storm is coming. I imagine in the wild there is the danger of flash flooding, etc. Probably a hard-wired response.

gregcalverley0327

10 Year Member!
Yes, I agree humans can too. I know that with my knees( very bad due to countless years of sports) will hurt when rain and storms are coming in

0.3.0 sulcata tortoise
(Manavi, aspen, Bronx)
1.0.0 Russian tortoise
(Ivan)
1 Great Dane
(Koko)

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
Yep, me too. My left knee and right ankle, actually, also due to sport. It makes sense, because with a drop in pressure, anything loose is going to start to expand!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
From what I have learned and read over the years, all animals can sense things like bad weather. That's one thing to help them survive. Even fish sense these things. The fish in our aquariums can still sense temp changes in the world outside their aquarium, even though we keep them at a constant temp. Yes, us humans can too, except most of us don't pay enough attention to the signs we are receiving.

gregcalverley0327

10 Year Member!
Yeah, pretty fascinating if you really think about it. We can tell when weather is coming and such

0.3.0 sulcata tortoise
(Manavi, aspen, Bronx)
1.0.0 Russian tortoise
(Ivan)
1 Great Dane
(Koko)

7oasty23

5 Year Member
Funny, as I was reading this, my strictly outside german shepard got scared from a bolt of lightning and barreled through my front screen door. Glad I'm temporarily living with my parents, and they're gonna pay for it. Getting laid off sucks.

Spn785

5 Year Member
Mid-Missouri
We have been having storms where I am and my baby Russian has only come out to eat, and besides that stays buried. When the thunder got bad (it was shaking my whole house), she buried herself so deep it took me two hours to find her in her 4 x 2 enclosure. LOL

MarianneL711

5 Year Member
NYC
Such interesting stuff. My head always hurts if there's going to be any type of precipitation. I always accuse my mom of dropping me on my head as a baby and this must be the result LOL. And my old dog was hilarious when she tried to hide from storms. She would try to go in the fridge, cabinets, once a basket that was waaayyy to small to fit her haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.