strawberry stems

Status
Not open for further replies.

K9KidsLove

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I am de-stemming 10 pints of strawberries. Can I give the stems to my tortoises?
Thanks
Patsy

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Washington
From what I've read, yes strawberry leaves are fine. My tort doesn't like them though!

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
I give strawberry stems and leaves to my Greeks and DT they love them. Just remember Store bought strawberries usually like most store bought foods may carry some Chemicals so feed in moderation. :)

sendie

10 Year Member!
Lake Jackson, TX
Mine haven't seemed to care for them either, but I keep offering them as we always have them. Ever so often I give a piece of strawberry and they'll eat that though!

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
sendie, I cut the very top off the strawberry leaving the leaves (or top greens) on it and give it to them they love it and it started them eating the strawberry leaves with no problems.

sendie

10 Year Member!
Lake Jackson, TX
Thanks Robyn, I'll have to try that. Do you leave any of the berry or cut it all off? I've left a little slice of the berry and they eat that and leave the leaves....

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Yep I leave a little of the berry they eat everything I also mix strawberry leaves in with their greens and they eat them with no problem. I give them a fairly large variety daily so they are by no means picky eaters the one thing I found they don't like is grass. they don't really eat any type of grass or hay. Danny stated to much silica in it for them to digest so I don't worry they get a good variety anyway.

K9KidsLove

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Thanks for the responses...By the time I 'diveed' it up between everyone, nobody got a whole lot. Most of the stems had a piece of strawberry attached. Everyone ate them except the Leopard baby, who really shouldn't have it anyway & 3 of my Bearded Dragons. Sandy Sulcata acted like he hadn't eaten in days! He loved it. His face was stained red for a couple of days.
Patsy

Status
Not open for further replies.