Dandelion leaves vs stems

stevenf625

5 Year Member
Dandelion greens from supermarket typically have long stems.
I assume the oxalic content of the stems are much lower than the leaves (and probably have lower calcium content) and therefore might be better to feed in quantity (lots of fiber too).

Does anyone know if this is true?

leigti

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
southeast Washington
Good question. I don't know if the Stamms would really be much different than the leaves but hopefully somebody who knows will come along soon. Sometimes I cut the last few inches of the stem off but usually I just toss a couple of them in. My tortoise will usually eat the whole thing stem and all. They usually eat the stem on the flower as well in the spring time.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
No idea. I feed the whole lot. Joe certainly doesn't care. Why waste part of the leaf by not feeding it?

Use them up if you buy them and then don't buy them again for a couple of weeks. Variety is variety over time. You don't need to feed a variety every day.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I actually found a couple dandelions in the yard the other day. I was so excited :) each tortoise got one dandelion flower. I have a deal with the neighbor down the street, he lets me pick all the dandelions I want from his yard. He doesn't put chemicals or anything out there so it works great. He gets for your dandelions and my tortoises like me :) well, they at least like the dandelions I get them.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I actually found a couple dandelions in the yard the other day. I was so excited :) each tortoise got one dandelion flower. I have a deal with the neighbor down the street, he lets me pick all the dandelions I want from his yard. He doesn't put chemicals or anything out there so it works great. He gets for your dandelions and my tortoises like me :) well, they at least like the dandelions I get them.
I have a similar arrangement with a neighbour. He thinks I'm ever so slightly mad, but happily lets me forage his garden :D