Stress to death??

Benjtort

Location (City and/or State)
Texas
should I worry about my sulcata getting overly stressed at the vet and dies? How also should I transport him to the vet

vladimir

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
should I worry about my sulcata getting overly stressed at the vet and dies? How also should I transport him to the vet
How old is your sulcata and how large is it?

Is something wrong or are you just taking him in to get checked out?

I have a 12lb sulcata who we recently took to the vet due to loss if appetite. We transported him in a cardboard box to keep him contained in the vehicle.

Benjtort

Texas
He’s about a year and a half and about 6-7 inches any suggestions?

vladimir

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
I'd put a puppy pee pad in a cardboard box and put him in that for transportation purposes. That way if he goes it's a little easier to clean up.

Did you find the vet on the reptile vet list here?

Benjtort

Texas
No it’s not on the list we have a vet down the street that does tortoises I’ve double checked his info it legit

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
He will be fine. They don't seem to stress as easily as some think. If they did, my leopards would be stressed a lot as I don't baby them when I'm soaking, cleaning, putting out, etc.
If he's not sick though, I wouldn't take him in. More damage could be done from a vet that really doesn't know much about them.

Benjtort

Texas
He will be fine. They don't seem to stress as easily as some think. If they did, my leopards would be stressed a lot as I don't baby them when I'm soaking, cleaning, putting out, etc.
If he's not sick though, I wouldn't take him in. More damage could be done from a vet that really doesn't know much about them.
He does know his stuff it’s not only a check up I forgot to mention they are also testing his vitals

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
He does know his stuff it’s not only a check up I forgot to mention they are also testing his vitals
If your confident that they truly know their stuff.
However, my oldest tort I had since May 2011 and has never seen a vet. In fact none of mine have except one female that I though was having problems laying her eggs. I actually should have left her alone and she would have done it. Found out after the fact they don't have to come out as fast as some think.
Just put him in a box that's not slippery and keep it dark and warm. Expect him to pee and/or poop.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I transport min in plastic tubs with a towel on the bottom. This contains any messes. Bring a large trash bag for soiled towels and extra towels for replacement.

Be aware that most vets know nothing about proper tortoise care and parrot the same wrong info that has been circulating since the 80s.. There is no semester on "tortoise husbandry" in vet school. If the vet offers a "vitamin injection" realize they don't know what they are doing and politely decline.

Benjtort

Texas
I transport min in plastic tubs with a towel on the bottom. This contains any messes. Bring a large trash bag for soiled towels and extra towels for replacement.

Be aware that most vets know nothing about proper tortoise care and parrot the same wrong info that has been circulating since the 80s.. There is no semester on "tortoise husbandry" in vet school. If the vet offers a "vitamin injection" realize they don't know what they are doing and politely decline.
Good info thank you