Stress??

Cooper horn

Location (City and/or State)
Vernon Texas
Do any of y’all think that if I build a new enclosure for my yearlings that they would be stressed?

Jay Bagley

Michigan
When I introduced my tortoise to his new enclosure, it took him a few days to settle in. For the first few days, there was lots of pacing around, he really couldn't sit still. He also went a day or two without having much of an appetite. All is well now. I think if they don't take to it right away, with a little time they will settle into their new surroundings.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Tortoise as they grow get new enclosures all the time. In my opinion, they don't get as stressed as some think. I used to change up the interior of the enclosure all the time and he seemed to like it. Would spend more time investigating until he had a few days of this he went back to being a sleeping hatchling. That was 2011. I don't coddle mine like they are fragile. They are tuff little tanks. If heat, humidity, uvb hydration and diet is good, they are good.
So, build a bigger enclosure not smaller.

Alex Z

5 Year Member
NYC
It happens to humans as well. Just need time and they will adjust.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Ok. I’m building a bigger enclosure and yes they are being housed together.

Assuming you have a pair, they need to be separated. Tortoises are solitary animals, and in pairs, there is always a dominant and a submissive. The dominant is constantly trying to get the other out of its territory, and the submissive is constantly being bullied. Both are very stressed.

Sounds like you need to make two bigger enclosures.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
When I got my Aldabran tortoises as hatchlings, they stayed in a shed built for their adult size, on a shelf in a tort table. As they grew and graduated to larger enclosures, they were always in the same enclosure that was going to house them as adults. I started out with a small fenced area in the large yard, and as they outgrew that I just moved the fence. Finally at about 5 years of age, they had the whole yard which was just the right size for them as long as I had them.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
To answer your question, yes, moving to any new enclosure will cause some stress. However, its not a big deal. They all get used to it with minimal problems.