Stressed out Cherry Head?

KTyne

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Chilliwack, BC
So last week I moved my Cherry Head girl to her new enclosure (6'x3' converted book case) and ever since then it's like all she wants to do is hide all day.

I've had to actually pull her out and put her in front of her food dish every day to get her to eat. She won't come out on her own. :\

The enclosure is still pretty open... I've got hides in there but I haven't been able to get plants, etc yet. Could it just be that she isn't comfortable wandering around such a large/open area?

Little bit stressed that she isn't coming up to eat on her own. :\ (she'll eat like normal when I pull her out of her hiding place)

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
The first thing is to double check the temps and humidity. The amount of light can also make a difference. But if everything is in the right amounts, the only thing you can do is wait it out. Seems to me, from reading everything on this forum, is that torts don't seem to appreciate sudden changes. Being placed in unfamiliar territory would make me be a bit cautious, too.

Let your tort explore on their own in their own time and I'm sure she'll go back to "normal".

shelley11

She probably just a bit worried of a new place that she hasn't been before so is just hiding and getting used to it. It's like many animals it may take her a while to get used to it and when she does she will be back to normal

KTyne

5 Year Member
Chilliwack, BC
Thanks you two!
Temps are spot on (my CHE is controlled by a Herpstat and stays a constant temperature), her humidity is probably too low though as I haven't been able to build a cover for the enclosure yet! It is currently just 3/4's covered by a plastic drop sheet to keep in as much humidity as possible.
I'm thinking that she IS just stressed by the move, plus the lack of cover in the enclosure at the moment. I'm just glad that she DOES eat when I pull her out. :)

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
Herpstat is one of the best investments I've made. Good choice on that thermostat :D

KTyne

5 Year Member
Chilliwack, BC
Thanks, it's definitely worth the money! ^_^ I had it left from a gecko rack I sold, and when I got my Tort I was very glad I kept the thermostat!