Stressed Redfoot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Little Texas

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Antelope Valley
I just adopted a one year old Redfoot from a lady who was looking to find an experienced home for the little guy.

He has already started to develop pyramiding and although it is only in the first stages they knew they needed to get him to a more experienced home. They also informed me that they could not get him to eat anything except for those horrible tortoise pellets. His poor diet along with very very minimal outdoor time has probably caused the poor shell condition.

I have been able to get him to eat other foods and although he is rather picky his diet doesn't seem to be as much of a problem as I was expecting.

On the other hand, the move has stressed him out quiet a bit. His temperature and humidity are being controlled but he still remains hiding all the time.

I was wondering if anyone had previous experience of this happening and roughly how long it took for your tortoise to adapt.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
The change of habitats can take a week or so to overcome, but it can take longer to switch diet.

I always suggest, whenever people mention their tortoise is having any problem, that it is a good idea to double check your basic cares and diets. My site, http://www.tortoiselibrary.com, has a lot of articles, but I think more importantly, it has a lot of links and book recommendations you can use to help make sure you are offering the right stuff.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
It depends on whether you are doing what is best for him now.. and what you consider "only in the first stages" of pyramiding.

To see the results of a caresheet that shows the results from hatchling to 5 year old go here - http://www.turtletary.com/redfootcare.htm
Scroll down not quite 1/3 where it states in blue Results you could/should expect... How much faith can you really put in anyone who just "talks" how to care for a redfoot.. without "showing" the results of their caresheet?

I actually had someone tell me that it wasn't really important to document the growth to test their "method" of care. And even more ridiculus.. "...just because they look good on the outside doesn't mean they are healthy on the inside." Then to prove that poor diet alone causes pyramiding and not keeping the carapace humid too.. they show "cross-sections" of pyramiding to prove it's internal. Hmm - then if they look good on the outside then they must be doing good on the inside.. aren't they?

So providing you are doing what is best it shouldn't take but a few weeks to transition. The fact that he's eating better means they are very resilient and can bounce back quick. After all he's only a year old. Lighting probly is a factor in hiding all of the time.

Show us his enclosure?

NERD

BTW.. the post by Madkins007 occured while I was still typing the above and I noticed it when I previewed my post. Anything said in my post has any reflection on what he said in his.

jackrat

5 Year Member
Hamburg,AR
Just check all of your parameters(temperature,humidity,lower lighting),provide a water source and leave him be for two or 3 days. After he ventures out and roams the enclosure a couple of times,he should be fine. Use the same feeding spot until he gets comfortable with the enclosure. It just takes them a few days to get going. I think this is the easiest way for a reptilian brain to handle the stress of getting uprooted from it's habitat,shipped,and dropped into a different environment. It actually works very well for them and a couple of days without any kind of stimulation(bright lights,feeding,handling) does a world of good. Temps in the mid 80's,80% humidity,and normal room light are fine. Mist them at least once a day. Often this will spur them into getting more active.

LindaF

5 Year Member
I don't have much more to add, but agree with the above advice. I suggest keep the lights low and make sure the is quite - no loud music or sound from the TV etc...
Hope all turns out ok. Glad the little guy now has a good home!

P.S. My red foot was always hiding until I followed Nerd's advice and lost the bright spot light I was previously using as a main heat source.

Little Texas

5 Year Member
Antelope Valley
Thanks for everyone's advice. I am going to see if reduced lighting makes a difference the next couple days or so. I'm just trilled that he is actually eating a wide arrange of natural foods now, as oppose to the pellets he had been eating as his only food for the last couple months.

Status
Not open for further replies.