Stuck Urate stone in baby Sulcata

Kaitbrow

Location (City and/or State)
Arkansas
Our baby has a stuck Urate. We have worked on it and did a lot of soaking until we went to vet just this last Sunday. They couldn’t get much out until he closed back up, they did xrays and that’s the only one in there. He weighs 148 grams and they’re too scared to put him under. I’m not taking him back to throw another 200 for no reason. Any advice and all advice is appreciated!!

Attachments

• IMG_4974.jpeg
    IMG_4974.jpeg
    278.2 KB · Views: 1

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Long warm soaks. You can also feed mineral oil or opuntia pads from the front end, and if you have a suitable cannula, you can shoot some mineral oil into the cloaca to lube it and help it works its way out.

Kaitbrow

Arkansas
Thank you! He’s been soaking for a few days on and off in warmer than normal water, unfortunately didn’t realize he wasnt drinking his water and it was a hot week last week, I usually do weekly soaks but should’ve done more this last week. Things happen though just glad it’s the only stone stuck in him! For now.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Keep doing what Tom said and I wouldn't take him to the vet unless things go really bad. They could very well do more harm than good
In the mean time, let's see why he has gotten like this so maybe it can be prevented for the future.
Give us a run down of everything to do with him.
Enclosure type and size
Substrate
Diet
Basking temp
All over temp
Night temps
Humidity
Type of light bulbs using
Type of heat using
How often do you give soaks
How old and big is he

Kaitbrow

Arkansas
Long warm soaks. You can also feed mineral oil or opuntia pads from the front end, and if you have a suitable cannula, you can shoot some mineral oil into the cloaca to lube it and help it works its way out.

The vet did mention doing vibration therapy to get things moving do you know much about that?

Kaitbrow

Arkansas
Keep doing what Tom said and I wouldn't take him to the vet unless things go really bad. They could very well do more harm than good
In the mean time, let's see why he has gotten like this so maybe it can be prevented for the future.
Enclosure type and size
Substrate
Diet
Basking temp
All over temp
Night temps
Humidity
Type of heat using
How old and big is he
Thank you for your reply, everything is all good with his care and needs he just got dehydrated this past week with how hot it was, I didn’t realize he wasn’t drinking(he’s got a giant bowl for drinks and to soak extra) I do weekly soaks for him.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The vet did mention doing vibration therapy to get things moving do you know much about that?
I've read about that. I think that is more for constipation. I don't know how helpful that would be for a urate stone. I don't think it would hurt to try.

Thank you for your reply, everything is all good with his care and needs he just got dehydrated this past week with how hot it was, I didn’t realize he wasn’t drinking(he’s got a giant bowl for drinks and to soak extra) I do weekly soaks for him.
It takes months for those bladder stones to form. This didn't happen last week. As you can now see, weekly soaks are not enough.

Kaitbrow

Arkansas
Enclosure type and size
Substrate
Diet
Basking temp
All over temp
Night temps
Humidity
Type of heat using
How old and big is he
This is his outside/summer enclosure. Gets a great amount of sun and shade!

Attachments

• IMG_4713.jpeg
    IMG_4713.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 1

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yes, like Tom said, stones don't form that quickly. I don't think everything is as good as you think!

Kaitbrow

Arkansas
I've read about that. I think that is more for constipation. I don't know how helpful that would be for a urate stone. I don't think it would hurt to try.

It takes months for those bladder stones to form. This didn't happen last week. As you can now see, weekly soaks are not enough.
Strange! He’s been passing soft urates during soaks just fine and poop before. Not sure.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yep, most everything is incorrect.
He should be in a closed chamber with short visits outside.
Temps never below 80 day and night.
Water bowl needs to have easy access, bury it so he doesn't have to climb over.
Read the caresheet and closed chamber threads on this forum.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Take a leaf of romaine and spread mineral oil on it, then roll it up lengthwise. Hand feed it to him. Also take,a bit of mineral oil up into a syringe with no needle and gentle squirt it all around the edges of the cloaca, getting as much as you can inside.

Kaitbrow

Arkansas
Yep, most everything is incorrect.
He should be in a closed chamber with short visits outside.
Temps never below 80 day and night.
Water bowl needs to have easy access, bury it so he doesn't have to climb over.
Read the caresheet and closed chamber threads on this forum.
He does have an enclosed chamber, outside has been high humidity with high temperatures, bowl is buried, he’s back in the enclosed chamber though! We’ll keep him there from now on. Got mineral oil, I will continue vibration therapy, and increase his soakings to daily. Thank you for all your help!

Kaitbrow

Arkansas
Take a leaf of romaine and spread mineral oil on it, then roll it up lengthwise. Hand feed it to him. Also take,a bit of mineral oil up into a syringe with no needle and gentle squirt it all around the edges of the cloaca, getting as much as you can inside.
Thank you! I have some mineral oil coming, I have some other changes being made for our little guy as well!!:))

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yes I have seen and heard of the vibration. Don't know anyone personally that has used it or ever heard if it worked
Can't hurt to try it though.