Studies on coconut oil for tortoise shells?

Avuwyy

Location (City and/or State)
Liverpool, Merseyside
In the past I was handed a study involving groups of hatchlings who would either have their shell moisturised/treated(?) with coconut oil, or left without, to see whether applying coconut oil to tortoise’s shells impacted their growth. I cannot recall the results of this study, or if I had received this study from these forums, but if there is anyone who is able to either source this study, or answer a few questions, this would be much appreciated.

Reading up, I’ve read a few people state that coconut oil is mostly used for aesthetic purposes, alike spritzing your tortoise’s shell with water to bring out the colours and markings of their carapace. Others I have seen state that coconut oil can promote new shell growth, or prevent pyramiding. And for others, that it blocks UV absorption. And so I’d like to ask the actual reason for applying coconut oil, the most common use appears to be for aesthetic reasons, but I would love to hear what people are aiming to achieve when applying coconut oil to their tortoise’s shell, and any studies done using large groups of (young) tortoises involving the positive impacts of coconut oil application.

This question comes from a place of curiosity rather than actual thought of applying coconut oil I think I should mention.

All contributions are appreciated. Thank you.

Tldr; Are there actually any proven benefits to applying coconut oil to a tortoise’s shell apart from brightening their markings? If so, studies or experiences (Especially on hatchlings)?

Guts

Location (City and/or State)
Tennessee
I don’t have any studies but the aza accredited zoo I worked for would do a monthly run down of coconut oil on just the shells of their Galapagos tortoises just a a moisture booster since the climate here is much drier then their native habitat.

Personally I feel like when you maintain proper humidity it’s unnecessary for hatchlings.