Stunted growth?

Lackman7

Location (City and/or State)
St. Thomas, Missouri
Most everything I have read says Sulcatas reach maturity in 5-10 years. My guy (I think he's a boy) is at least 7 years old (that's how long I've had him) but only weighs 20 pounds. He was about 10 pounds when he was given to me. I live in central Missouri. He is kept outside during the warmer months and spends the remaining time in my classroom. Any comments appreciated.

daniellenc

Maryland
That’s extremely small what’s his diet? And how is he kept in a classroom? They need a lot of room to roam which encourages eating so his limited space is probably part of the problem.

Lackman7

St. Thomas, Missouri
When he is at home he lives outside. He has all the grass, dandelions, clover, etc that grows in the yard. His enclosure is bout 15' by 45'. We occasionally give him tomatoes, watermelon, strawberries, etc. He is very active during this time. When we have to bring him indoors I take him to school. He has free run of my classroom (20' by 30'). He does not seem to eat much when he is indoors, sometimes going a week or more without eating even though fresh Romain lettuce and spinich is being offered, he's never been interested in any type of hay, including alfalfa. He used to be more active and eat more but the last two years it almost seems that he goes into a hibernation state. If I pick him up and move him to a different part of the classroom he will usually walk back to his corner and stay there. Any advice is appreciated!

daniellenc

Maryland
He’s cold in your classroom
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/

His diet and temps seem to be the problem but luckily all are fixable. The link above will assist you in making the necessary changes. He just needs to be kept warm 80 and above all over with a basking spot around 100 degrees which isn’t maintainable in your classroom. Even if given a basking spot the ambient temps are just to cold.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Not an expert, especially on sulcatas, but from what you have said, his husbandry and diet need to be changed now, so that he has a chance to grow and prosper normally for his species. If you cannot make the necessary changes then he needs to be re-homed to a suitable living condition.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm afraid I must agree with the classroom not being the best place for a cold blooded creature. Living on the floor of the classroom is not warm enough for him to keep his core temperature up in the upper 80s. If they can't get their core temp up to 85F plus, they don't eat because the food doesn't digest when too cool inside the tortoise.

I know you mean well, and are trying to give the kids this experience, but, as you have seen, it is detrimental to the tortoise's health. Yes, he is alive and growing somewhat, but he is not thriving.