Stupid but might lead to something cool question

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Lewisville, Texas
So I was wondering, if you took some water based, non toxic paint and put it on a tortoises feet, and let them walk around on a canvas, it would make a really cool painting that you could hang next to your tortoise or something. Actually, what if every month or so you did it again, but in a different color? That might be a cool way to track growth! My question is, is it safe? You could probably get the paint off in a soak, so would there be any harm in it? (Please note, I'm probably to lazy to do this even if it is safe, but it might be a cool idea for others lol)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I know someone did something like this with another kind of animal. I can't remember what kind though. I'm sure if the right paint is used it wouldn't be harmful.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
I know someone did something like this with another kind of animal. I can't remember what kind though. I'm sure if the right paint is used it wouldn't be harmful.
I think people have done it with bearded dragons and a red ear slider, but they didn't use it to chart growth, they just used it to hang on their wall lol. If no one says it's harmful, I might try it some day

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The one I'm thinking of was not a reptile and they sold the paintings for money. Like the elephant that paints with a paint brush.
I'm not sure what paint should be used so that it won't harm the animal/tort. But I'm sure there is some out there that would be perfectly safe.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
The one I'm thinking of was not a reptile and they sold the paintings for money. Like the elephant that paints with a paint brush.
I'm not sure what paint should be used so that it won't harm the animal/tort. But I'm sure there is some out there that would be perfectly safe.
Thanks!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I should say, I don't think it would be accurate as paint will usually spread some and you would also have to have the paint on the exact same spots as the time before. A much more accurate way is measuring or if you want an outline on paper a member once use a pencil and traced the outline of their tort.
Also, if the paint didn't wash off and stayed in the growth lines it could possibly cause a problem.

Taylor T.

5 Year Member
New England
You might also want to pick a non "tasty" looking color, as he might decide that his foot is a food item.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
I should say, I don't think it would be accurate as paint will usually spread some and you would also have to have the paint on the exact same spots as the time before. A much more accurate way is measuring or if you want an outline on paper a member once use a pencil and traced the outline of their tort.
Also, if the paint didn't wash off and stayed in the growth lines it could possibly cause a problem.
I know it wouldn't be as accurate as tracing, but at guess it just looks kinda cool? It's kinda like how maybe a parent might get a plaster imprint of there kid's foot when it's born, and hang it on their wall to not only show how small the foot is and stuff, but also as a decoration? I probably described it really badly :/