Substrate and Parasites

Status
Not open for further replies.

pdelpizzo

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Broward County
I posted a thread not too long ago about dealing with strongyle parasites in my two russian tortoises. One of them especially has seemed particularly under the weather with a diminished appetite and decreased activity. Since receiving two treatments of medication, he's actually seemed a bit more active, and has just recently started passing large amounts of what looks like mucous and worm material. He was spending the majority of time under cover but has lately been the first tortoise up and out in the morning, though he's still rather lethargic until I take him outside or give him some other form of stimulation. His appetite still isn't great but he will devour hibiscus on occasion and he was very fond of a piece of butternut squash the other day.

The vet told me I should avoid using any natural substrates as they often come with parasites. They convinced my wife to buy the carefresh paper bedding which I've read is very unhealthy due mostly to impaction potential and moisture deficiency. Though I was just told that coconut coir has the same impaction risks. Anyway, I'd been using a mixture of coconut coir and Zoo Med forest floor cypress mulch, both purchased from my local pet shop. Does anyone have any experience with Zoo Med substrates having existing parasites?

I also spoke with someone from a tortoise society who told me I should only be using soil (untreated) and nothing else. She said it was important that they are able to eat the soil for nutrients. She also said that she had direct experience with a tortoise dying from eating coconut coir. Any thoughts on that? I was thinking maybe I should mix soil with the cypress and coconut but I don't want to keep introducing parasites into their living space if I can avoid it.

Thanks for your continuing help!

Patrick

pickadillydo

5 Year Member
pdelpizzo said:
I posted a thread not too long ago about dealing with strongyle parasites in my two russian tortoises. One of them especially has seemed particularly under the weather with a diminished appetite and decreased activity. Since receiving two treatments of medication, he's actually seemed a bit more active, and has just recently started passing large amounts of what looks like mucous and worm material. He was spending the majority of time under cover but has lately been the first tortoise up and out in the morning, though he's still rather lethargic until I take him outside or give him some other form of stimulation. His appetite still isn't great but he will devour hibiscus on occasion and he was very fond of a piece of butternut squash the other day.

The vet told me I should avoid using any natural substrates as they often come with parasites. They convinced my wife to buy the carefresh paper bedding which I've read is very unhealthy due mostly to impaction potential and moisture deficiency. Though I was just told that coconut coir has the same impaction risks. Anyway, I'd been using a mixture of coconut coir and Zoo Med forest floor cypress mulch, both purchased from my local pet shop. Does anyone have any experience with Zoo Med substrates having existing parasites?

I also spoke with someone from a tortoise society who told me I should only be using soil (untreated) and nothing else. She said it was important that they are able to eat the soil for nutrients. She also said that she had direct experience with a tortoise dying from eating coconut coir. Any thoughts on that? I was thinking maybe I should mix soil with the cypress and coconut but I don't want to keep introducing parasites into their living space if I can avoid it.

Thanks for your continuing help!

Patrick

Good question! Id like to know too..

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
All I can say is that they should not be eating soil for nutrients. They will eat their substrate when eating and by accident sometimes, which is why you need a substrate that will pass if accidentally ingested. If you are worried about parasites, you could always sterilize it in an oven, and BTW I have never heard of a tortoise dying by eating coconut coir myself anyways. I hope this helps if you have more or if I did not answer your question please let me know.

M

Maggie Cummings

Holy cow! There is so much crappy information out there that people actually believe. I am freakin amazed by it sometimes. i have been putting tortoises and turtles on cypress mulch or orchid bark for a long time and nobody has ever died from it. They've pooped on it and dug under it and sometimes eat it. Tortoises live on dirt not paper. Do not use that paper stuff for your Russians. They don't get parasites from commercially produced substrate. Just pick out a decent substrate and put your animals on it and please don't worry about substrate being bad for tortoises, it's NOT! Well, except for that paper stuff...that IS bad for tortoises...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Patrick:

I have never heard of parasites living in the new bag of substrate. I suppose it might happen, but I kind of doubt it.

I don't know what the mfg'r does to ready the mulches for sale, and I know that some parasites can live quite a while outside the host, but I've never worried about them in my brand new bag of substrate.

You don't want your tortoise to eat dirt. That may cause an impaction. If you think the tortoise needs some good flora and fauna in its gut system you can always get some probiotics from the vet. Or you can allow the tortoise to eat the feces of a "clean" same species tortoise.

I like cypress mulch. I like orchid bark. I've used both of these for many, many years. I'm one who doesn't de-worm her tortoises unless there is a parasite infestation. I haven't used a de-wormer on my tortoises for years.

pdelpizzo

10 Year Member!
Broward County
Thanks for the info! It's amazing how multiple people who present themselves as experts can have such differing and often contradictory opinions. I was told by the vet that I should put the tortoises in shredded newspaper until the worms have all passed. Does that seem like a reasonable temporary solution while they are treated? I just ordered a followup fecal test (recommended by the vet) to see if they might need a third dose of treatment.

Thanks!

Patrick

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
pdelpizzo said:
Thanks for the info! It's amazing how multiple people who present themselves as experts can have such differing and often contradictory opinions. I was told by the vet that I should put the tortoises in shredded newspaper until the worms have all passed. Does that seem like a reasonable temporary solution while they are treated? I just ordered a followup fecal test (recommended by the vet) to see if they might need a third dose of treatment.

Thanks!

Patrick
In that case newspaper is fine, it is easier keeping a tortoise sanitary during medical treatment, but it should not be a long term solution

Status
Not open for further replies.