transferring Parasites?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chase thorn

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Colorado Springs, CO
i have a WC russian who is amazing and is very healthy and I'm thinking he is more of a pig than a tort :p! but he is WC and may have some parasites still in him from the wild... my question is...

if i ever get another tortoise, a hatchling (of the Mediterranean species), would it be any problem keeping two enclosures side by side? i know it seems weird but can a tortoise get any parasites from another tort from just being in the same area? I'm pretty new to this... is housing two tortoises together the only way of transferring parasites if one has one??

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I know of no parasite that will jump from one enclosure to another. The problem would be the possibility of YOU transferring them while handling water of food bowls and stuff. If you are careful and if you simply worm your Russian regularly, you'll greatly reduce the risk.

I was taught by an exotics vet, that a 6' distance between enclosures and proper husbandry techniques will prevent disease transmission between enclosures.

chase thorn

10 Year Member!
Colorado Springs, CO
Tom said:
I know of no parasite that will jump from one enclosure to another. The problem would be the possibility of YOU transferring them while handling water of food bowls and stuff. If you are careful and if you simply worm your Russian regularly, you'll greatly reduce the risk.

I was taught by an exotics vet, that a 6' distance between enclosures and proper husbandry techniques will prevent disease transmission between enclosures.

Thank you Tom!

Status
Not open for further replies.