substrate question

Tortle10

Hey everyone, quick question. I was using organic top soil and cypress bark, but WAY to dusty I mean clouds of dust so I switched to 50% play sand 50% Zoo Med Eco Earth, compressed coconut fiber am I OK with this? With the organic top soil and cypress I was concerned about respiratory issues.

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Massachusetts
What kind of tortoise do you have and how old? Sand is generally not recommended, mainly because if your tortoise is not kept hydrated and if they ingest the sand, it sits in their stomach since it's not being passed, and they become impacted.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Most people here recommend that sand NOT be used as a substrate, given there are so many other better options. Too dusty? Did you moisten, spray down, mist your original substrate? Other options include coco coir, orchid bark, cypress mulch. Once wetted down these all retain moisture well, are not dusty. Good luck. Ps, what type of tortoise, type of enclosure?

christinaland128

5 Year Member
Metro Detroit
Maybe dusty because it's not kept moist? I have 5" organic topsoil then a damp mix of coir and ZooMed forest floor. It's fantastic. I keep it moist with a Fogger or spray. No dust and no respiratory issues.

Tortle10

What kind of tortoise do you have and how old? Sand is generally not recommended, mainly because if your tortoise is not kept hydrated and if they ingest the sand, it sits in their stomach since it's not being passed, and they become impacted.

I have an 8 year old female Russian Tort. I read in numerous places that to dusty an environment will cause respiratory infections, as well as eye issues. I have her in a 40 gallon breeder tank until I can put her outside. Spraying the substrate does no good at all within an hours time the top soil is bone dry due to the 95 degree daytime tank temp.

Tortle10

Maybe dusty because it's not kept moist? I have 5" organic topsoil then a damp mix of coir and ZooMed forest floor. It's fantastic. I keep it moist with a Fogger or spray. No dust and no respiratory issues.

I have a 8 year old russian, daytime tank temp about 95 degrees, I have sprayed multiple times a day only to have it turn back to dusty environment within an hour?

christinaland128

5 Year Member
Metro Detroit
Part of the issue is the size of the enclosure. Once you upgrade to a larger size it won't dry up as quickly. You can also pour some water directly into the corners of the enclosure to really moisten that deeper layer. ;)

Tortle10

Part of the issue is the size of the enclosure. Once you upgrade to a larger size it won't dry up as quickly. You can also pour some water directly into the corners of the enclosure to really moisten that deeper layer. ;)

So one more time, what is it I should use exactly because I will pick it up tomorrow?

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
I personally don't like top soil either, I tried it and my nose was filled with the stuff when I was done. I use coco coir because it retains moisture, tortoises can ingest it, it's cheap, and no bugs or mold. Just be careful if you wet the substrate to make sure that the temps, especially at night, are not too cold. Cold temps and any humidity, really, can cause a respiratory infection.

Tortle10

I personally don't like top soil either, I tried it and my nose was filled with the stuff when I was done. I use coco coir because it retains moisture, tortoises can ingest it, it's cheap, and no bugs or mold. Just be careful if you wet the substrate to make sure that the temps, especially at night, are not too cold. Cold temps and any humidity, really, can cause a respiratory infection.

What kind of Tort do you have. Do you use straight coco coir or mix it?

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Post a picture of your set up . You can use sand just not a 50/50 mix . You can use dirt from your yard . I use coconut coir . Only use about 10/20 % sand and coconut coir then top soil . If you already have sand and top soil . Then add the coconut coir . Three bricks goes a long ways .

Tortle10

Post a picture of your set up . You can use sand just not a 50/50 mix . You can use dirt from your yard . I use coconut coir . Only use about 10/20 % sand and coconut coir then top soil . If you already have sand and top soil . Then add the coconut coir . Three bricks goes a long ways .

Thanks Mike, I will remove some of what I have in the tank and add more coconut coir. Thanks for the come back.

christinaland128

5 Year Member
Metro Detroit
I use soil at the very bottom of the tank. This is to retain moisture and because I plant live plants in my enclosure. I don't have any mold or fungus problems. Then I use the coir and forest floor mix on top. A good 3 inches.

Honestly, either of these suggestions are just fine. I would just stay away from the sand. ;)

Tortle10

I use soil at the very bottom of the tank. This is to retain moisture and because I plant live plants in my enclosure. I don't have any mold or fungus problems. Then I use the coir and forest floor mix on top. A good 3 inches.

Honestly, either of these suggestions are just fine. I would just stay away from the sand. ;)

What kind of Tort do you have? I think Im supposed to keep away from moisture with my Russian?

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
What kind of Tort do you have. Do you use straight coco coir or mix it?

I have a Red Foot, and they thrive on high humidity. An adult russian certainly does not, plus they like to dig. I don't mix my coir at all. I think what Mike and AZtortmom said is a good idea, just be mindful with the sand and don't let your russian eat directly off the substrate, and keep him hydrated so he can pass it if ingested. A lot of keepers from what I've read use sand mixtures with no issues, it's just a matter of overall good husbandry.

Tortle10

What kind of Tort do you have? I think Im supposed to keep away from moisture with my Russian?
I have a Red Foot, and they thrive on high humidity. An adult russian certainly does not, plus they like to dig. I don't mix my coir at all. I think what Mike and AZtortmom said is a good idea, just be mindful with the sand and don't let your russian eat directly off the substrate, and keep him hydrated so he can pass it if ingested. A lot of keepers from what I've read use sand mixtures with no issues, it's just a matter of overall good husbandry.

Thank you for your answer, I am going with your input. I will remove some of the present mix and increase the remaining with additional coir.
You were a big help! Tortle10, (Bob)

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Red foot mixture that is perfect and stays perfect is as follows: A layer of a few inches of orchid bark with a layer of potting soil on top. (Potting soil has less sand than top soil and play sand should not be used.) Pour some water into the corners and the orchid bark will absorb it, leaving the top layer dryer. Remember you want high humidity with little actual dampness making contact with your tortoise. Jam a few plants into the substrate and ad more water about twice a week. Done.

christinaland128

5 Year Member
Metro Detroit
I also have a Red. But I'm speaking generally about avoiding dust. It's really quite simple, you just keep it moist. If you don't want to spray it every now and then just make your own homemade fogger.ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1427193691.273967.jpg

Tortle10

I also have a Red. But I'm speaking generally about avoiding dust. It's really quite simple, you just keep it moist. If you don't want to spray it every now and then just make your own homemade fogger.View attachment 123167

Thanks for your advice, I will look into the humidifier. your Tort's picture is awesome, how old is she (he), again thanks for going the extra mile with your info, appreciated.