Substrate and shell rot UGH

wolfkat

Hey guys,

Long time no post from me but I have a question... Viva, my redfoot, is developing shell rot again. She lives in a green house currently and the humidity, temps, and lighting are great but since there is high humidity in the greenhouse her substate (coconut fiber with cypress mulch on top of half) becomes damp pretty fast. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to keep one area always dry? I was thinking of finding and putting a rubber mat down where she sleeps but I am nervous it would melt or become too hot for her under the mercury vapor bulb. Maybe a big terra-cotta dish??? She hates sleeping in her humid hide and ONLY sleeps next to this fake plant we got when she was much smaller (don't worry she has never tried to eat the fake plant). Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks so much!!!

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK Sheffield
Try an area with orchid bark instead of Cyprus mulch and see what happens.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
How hot is it under that MVB? (84 degrees wont melt rubber)
Remember that RF don't like too much heat. Maybe that's why he wont sleep there.
I use Orchid bark with garden soil on top in my now unused closed chamber. In an actual greenhouse, it might be different. But a suitable top layer that doesn't hold water is what you want.

wolfkat

I have tried the mulch and the same thing happened. The light has a shut off on it set that if it gets to 90 degrees it turns the light off. The fake plant is right next to her humid hide and she just has never used the humid hide ever since I got her.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I have tried the mulch and the same thing happened. The light has a shut off on it set that if it gets to 90 degrees it turns the light off. The fake plant is right next to her humid hide and she just has never used the humid hide ever since I got her.
The babies that I just had also slept inside/under plants.

RedHeadMama

Maybe the plant is just more comfortable for her. I've noticed that when I have plants big enough for mine to hide in, she prefers them too.

xirxes

If you are having a real problem with moisture, put a base layer of lava rock or hydro balls with a durable screen over it for bottom layer then build up orchid bark over that. All cumulative moisture should migrate down and gather below out of reach of the bark and remain dry.

Either way good luck!