Substrate options

nootnootbu

Location (City and/or State)
USA

Is this the Orchid Bark I often see people talking about making good substrate?
Do you typically mix it with top soil, or just leave it pure?

I know this is especially good for red foots.

Would you want to use a different substrate for other species like Russians and Sulcatas? Or would they be fine with the orchid bark as well?

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga

Would you want to use a different substrate for other species like Russians and Sulcatas? Or would they be fine with the orchid bark as well?
Orchid bark is good but on the east coast it can be a little expensive to find in bulk. I've never seen that one pictured so I'm not sure if it's safe. Another option is cypress mulch. If your on the east coast you can find it at home depot in the garden dept for about $3 a bag.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

Make sure it is "fine grade" and read the ingredients on the bark to make sure it is "fir bark" and nothing else.

This is the best substrate for most tortoises in most situations.

nootnootbu

USA
Orchid bark is good but on the east coast it can be a little expensive to find in bulk. I've never seen that one pictured so I'm not sure if it's safe. Another option is cypress mulch. If your on the east coast you can find it at home depot in the garden dept for about $3 a bag.
Thank you for the good advice. It does say it's not in stock here, so I'm not even sure if they have the orchid bark in bags that size in store in my area anywhere.