Substrate Question (another 1 )

Status
Not open for further replies.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Washington
Impressive! First one I've heard besides me to use shower pan liner. :) I've really liked mine so far. I did the same one piece up the sides, and then I full the substrate about flush with the liner actually (but I switched to aspen, a dry substrate that is easy to clean up). I had to overlap some pieces due to the length of the enclosure though, about 5.5 ft.

I think even without the polyurethane the pine is just fine. I did not use the polyurethane because of the pine, I only did it to make it more water resistant and wear better over the years.

I think you will want more than 2-3 inches of substrate, but then again I give my 2-3 inch hatchling 8 inches for his digging pleasure! He uses it all too. I am actually glad I made the sides 18 inches for when he grows a little as he is quite the climber. Please correct me though it radiata do not dig as I am not familiar with the species besides that they are gorgeous. :)

How big will your tort get?

And yes the poop will automatically degrade and create the fertilizer in the soil (same that food scraps do).

TopWarmachine

5 Year Member
Kate, I must give credit where it is due; I remember reading a post of yours somewhere else where you stated using a shower pan liner, and I thought that it was a great idea. The liner is flexible, durable and easy to wash.

As for the tortoise, I am planning on getting a Hermann's Tortoise and have been looking at "http://www.gardenstatetortoise.com/" as the website owner has a great knowledge of this species of tortoise. To be more specific I am thinking about getting a Western Hermann's Tortoise which is smaller than its eastern cousin. The tortoise will most likely top out at 4 to 5 inches when it is finished growing.

This particular setup is just temporary however; later this year I plan to make a new enclosure that is 4 ft by 3 ft with 12 inch walls to accommodate more substrate and will allow me to implement some other building ideas I came up with after I finished my current enclosure.

Carol S

10 Year Member!
Alta Loma, CA
Stazz said:
Well here's a pic of Tallula's enclosure, it's in our bedroom :p We built it from scratch ourselves, and my boyfriend designed it. I still have the plans if you want!

n529755760_2822492_4159526.jpg

All you need is a few pieces of wood, some nails and hinges :) Oh and of course a hammer haha

:)Hi: I love your enclosure. Has your turtle ever fallen from the second floor? Does he use the stairs and the second floor a lot? My Russian is only 4 months old. I would greatly appreciate the plans.

Thanks.

Carol S.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Sounds great then! Glad you like the shower pan liner. Expensive, but I doubt that stuff will ever need to be replaced. I ever stapled it in since I had to use several overlapping pieces for the length.

I think both the ramp and the second floor have sides to it. I plan on doing something like this when my tort needs more space (build a second story on an existing table to add at least 50% square footage). I had planned on blocking off part of my table to leave space for the enclosure to grow as my hatchling did, but I ran out of space for cage furnishings!

Stazz

5 Year Member
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Carol S said:
Stazz said:
Well here's a pic of Tallula's enclosure, it's in our bedroom :p We built it from scratch ourselves, and my boyfriend designed it. I still have the plans if you want!

n529755760_2822492_4159526.jpg

All you need is a few pieces of wood, some nails and hinges :) Oh and of course a hammer haha

:)Hi: I love your enclosure. Has your turtle ever fallen from the second floor? Does he use the stairs and the second floor a lot? My Russian is only 4 months old. I would greatly appreciate the plans.

Thanks.

Carol S.

Hi there Carol !! Glad you like it! Tallula absolutely loves her 2nd floor, she's up there alot. She loves her ramp too, she really runs down the ramp, its so funny, and I thnk good exercise for her. Im sure your tort would LOVE it !!! I'll have to scratch around for the plans for you. Will let you know when I find it :) You're more than welcome to have them :)

M

Maggie Cummings

Yours is beautiful beautiful.
I used a shower curtain liner for my box turtle enclosure and I stapled it all around. Now time has passed and the substrate is between the liner and the wood. Some staples have pulled out and the whole thing leaks bugs.
I feed my box turtles super worms and meal worms and evidently some got loose, a lot got loose and they morph into the ugliest beetles that ever walked. I am so grossed out by them. I found one in my bed on my naked body and it freaked me out totally!!! Any how this is where the bugs are escaping from...my tort table for my colony of box turtles...I don't think anymore explanation is necessary. Had a liner been installed better this would be a great tort table. It is the right size for my box turtles and I can have the top open for airflow or closed to make humidity...I just thought you might like to see how mine is made, it's not very pretty but it is very functional....
29h2et.jpg

t66vrc.jpg

25uk0f7.jpg

whf6t1.jpg

53ps8x.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.