Advice on substrate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Isa

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Montreal, QC, Canada
Since I have Hermy, I tried a lot of different substrate. Here are the result.
Aspen- Hermy will not walk on it. He hates aspen.
Bed a beast - Hermy eats it (really eats it).
Soil- Hermy eats it as if it was cactus pear.
Mix of soil and sand- Hermy eats it as if it was his last meal.

ceramic tile - Hermy loves it
Reptile carpet- he loves it

Now in his enclosure, it is half reptile carpet and half aspen. He never goes in the aspen. I talked about that with the vet and she told me to remove the aspen since Hermy did not like it and to put the reptile carpet everywhere. I do not want to do that! because Reptile carpet is not good for Hermy, I want him to dig in the substrate not just walk on it.
What is my other choice?? I really do not know what to do anymore. I know microclimate is very important, I want to respect it but Hermy wants to it everything (exept the aspen). He has already Kidneys problems, so I want him to live on a good substrate.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
A mixture of damp Bed-a-Beast and sand (about 50/50 by weight) is a common answer. Eating a little is not a big deal- but you may want to make sure he is getting enough fiber in his real diet.

Kidney issues from the substrate should not be a big deal if he is well-hydrated.

One great plan I saw that might work for you is to use flat trays over the entire floor. in one tray, plant grass. Put pebbles in another, carpet in another, etc. Rotate trays for cleaning/reseeding, etc. Just make sure one tray is a 'diggable' depth and mixture.

You might consider a pan or box of rabbit hay (the mixed grasses kind) to dig into along with your carpet. If he eats it, GREAT!

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Madkins007 said:
A mixture of damp Bed-a-Beast and sand (about 50/50 by weight) is a common answer. Eating a little is not a big deal- but you may want to make sure he is getting enough fiber in his real diet.

Kidney issues from the substrate should not be a big deal if he is well-hydrated.

One great plan I saw that might work for you is to use flat trays over the entire floor. in one tray, plant grass. Put pebbles in another, carpet in another, etc. Rotate trays for cleaning/reseeding, etc. Just make sure one tray is a 'diggable' depth and mixture.

You might consider a pan or box of rabbit hay (the mixed grasses kind) to dig into along with your carpet. If he eats it, GREAT!

Thanks for the advice Madkins :)
I already tried the hay but I had to remove it because Hermy is allergic (it causes him a runny nose). The problem with the mix is Hermy eats it, a lot. So it kinds of scaced me because I dont want him to have an impaction.

DoctorCosmonaut

10 Year Member!
Oregon
Becareful of tile, cement, etc. its hard surface can cause a prolapse of the penis on most torts

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
DoctorCosmonaut said:
Becareful of tile, cement, etc. its hard surface can cause a prolapse of the penis on most torts

Thanks for the advice DoctorCosmonaut
but there are only 2 pieces of tile in Hermy's enclosure. He eats on one and there is a big pool on the second one.

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
Aspen is good for torts. I say you put that in his whole enclosure so he has no choice but to walk on it...he will get used to it in no time. Anouk loves her aspen, but hated the bed a beast. She wouldn't go near it, but now she likes it just fine. Its great for digging down into and stays nice and warm.

Leave in one tile for feeding and let us know what happens.

You want a couple inches of substrate so that they have traction. Other wise tortoises can develop leg and muscle injuries, skin abrasions etc from not walking on a good surface.

chadk

10 Year Member!
I think the bed a beast and soil and sand mix would be best. He would probably get tired of eating it, and as long as you soak him often and he is well hydrated and eathing other good foods and pooing often, he should be fine. I bet once he is used to it, he'll stop...

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Thanks Meg and Chad.
Meg,
I like the idea. He will not be happy about it but I will try that this weekend :). I feel really bad to do this to him but he can't live on the carpet all his life. I really think it is not good for him.
Chad, I guess I could try that but for now, I am a bit scared of an impaction.

Meg90 said:
Aspen is good for torts. I say you put that in his whole enclosure so he has no choice but to walk on it...he will get used to it in no time. Anouk loves her aspen, but hated the bed a beast. She wouldn't go near it, but now she likes it just fine. Its great for digging down into and stays nice and warm.

Leave in one tile for feeding and let us know what happens.

You want a couple inches of substrate so that they have traction. Other wise tortoises can develop leg and muscle injuries, skin abrasions etc from not walking on a good surface.

Meg, When you are talking about the leg and muscle injuries, can Hermy develop that walking on the carpet?
I can't wait to change his substrate!

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
Yes, I believe he can. The carpet is also bad because there is the possibility of threads coming loose and wrapping around a toe, or his entire foot and cutting off circulation. They don't reccomend the carpet for almost anything because of the increased chance of losing toes.....

let me know how he feels about the aspen! I'm sure in a day or two, he will be right at home! :p

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Just watch him really carefully, but also let him have space to settle in (stay in the house but don't hover over the enclosure). Good luck!

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Meg,
Thanks a lot for the info, I did not know that.
I can't wait to see his reaction. I am sure he is going to be stressed out but he will get used to it (I hope so) :).
I will let you know how it goes :).

Thanks Kate,
I will keep an eye on him but I will also leave him alone. Poor Hermy, I am sure it is going to be very hard for him but it is for his best.

DoctorCosmonaut

10 Year Member!
Oregon
Isa said:
DoctorCosmonaut said:

but there are only 2 pieces of tile in Hermy's enclosure. He eats on one and there is a big pool on the second one.

Oh that should be completely fine then. I have a slate tile under mine's food bowl... it seems to help keep her nails trimmed :D

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
DoctorCosmonaut said:
Isa said:
DoctorCosmonaut said:

Oh that should be completely fine then. I have a slate tile under mine's food bowl... it seems to help keep her nails trimmed :D

And my Hermann's beak too :D

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Isa, Cypress mulch is another option you can keep it moist down deep for microclimate and my hatchlings are now on it and took to it right away. The larger chuncks of cypress make it almost impossible for them to eat. I actually like it better than bed a beast and sand. Just another option.

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Crazy1 said:
Isa, Cypress mulch is another option you can keep it moist down deep for microclimate and my hatchlings are now on it and took to it right away. The larger chuncks of cypress make it almost impossible for them to eat. I actually like it better than bed a beast and sand. Just another option.

Thanks Robyn,
I really like the idea of the cypress mulch, the only problem I have is that it is impossible to find where I live :(

purpod

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Ventura County, CA
Good Day Isa ~

You know, you can also create a "base" of rolling hills, caves & other hides for Hermy with a product called "Excavator Clay Substrate". I found an online source MUCH cheaper than what I've paid previously in the chain pet stores. It sez;

* Allows reptiles to dig tunnels and burrows just like they do in nature.
* Watch your reptiles perform natural digging behaviors.
* You can mold and create multi-level terracces and burrows in your reptiles terrarium.
* Make your reptiles feel like they are "at home" in their natural habitat.
* Excavator holds its shape so burrows and tunnels won't collapse.
* All Natural! no added dyes, colors or chemicals.

The link I have is this:
http://www.reptilesupply.com/product.php?products_id=1810

Of course, you can create a great landscape base, and put your cypress (or whatever) substrate on top. You could even plant succulants in it too... Just another 'idea'... {Personally, I've used the rep. carpets for a long time on my torties indoor enclosure and have not had any incidents with it, but that's just me. And unless it's cold or raining, my tort's are usually in the outdoor "Turtle Town".. more pic's of the progress there to come soon!}

Glad you have not changed his substrate yet, tho, as you are right, don't wanna stress him out if he's feeling under the weather..

Good Luck!!
Purpod :p

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Good day Purpod :)
Thanks a lot for the link, this product looks really interesting. If I find the Cypress, I could put it on top. I am sure Hermy would love that.
I will probably go to the USA soon, so I will try to find some cypress mulch. I would create a part of the enclosure with aspen, and another part with some ''excavator'' at the bottom and cypress mulch on top.
I am sure it would look very nice :D
The biggest problem I have now with the reptile carpet is that Hermy is trying to dig into it when he is in his hide, so some fibres gets pulled out.
Thanks again Purpod!

Status
Not open for further replies.