substrate ratio

steveandjackiec

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Harrisburg, PA
We currently are using coconut coir as substrate. However, we are having a problem with it being to dry in the terrarium. We have seen that some mix the coconut coir with sphagnum moss which they say seems to help with humidity. We're planning to do this tonight and were wondering what ratio to use when we mix it together. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

We already have the sphagnum moss by itself in the humid hide and it seems to hold the moisture in very well.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Coconut coir is one that holds moisture the best. Pour warm water into a corner of the enclosure for the under layers to get moist and then you can spray the top layer once in a while. The moss can mold and the coir will not. The mold is why I stopped using it. Plus my leopard always wanted to eat it.

If you still want to use the moss, just put a layer of it on top of the coir.

steveandjackiec

5 Year Member
Harrisburg, PA
wellington said:
Coconut coir is one that holds moisture the best. Pour warm water into a corner of the enclosure for the under layers to get moist and then you can spray the top layer once in a while. The moss can mold and the coir will not. The mold is why I stopped using it. Plus my leopard always wanted to eat it.

If you still want to use the moss, just put a layer of it on top of the coir.

Wow, I didn't realize that it would mold. I thought I read somewhere that it didn't mold. I guess we'll have to try pouring water in the corners. How wet should we make it (the coir)?

Would the coir cause impaction if it gets on their food and they eat it?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Some do say it doesn't mold. I don't know why, because it sure did for me. Coir does not cause impaction, however it is best to try to keep if off their food, so they aren't eating a lot of it.
Do you have a closed chamber set up? If not, please read Toms threads below in my post. The sulcata threads will apply to your leopard also. How much water will depend on how deep the substrate is and what the humidity reads.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
steveandjackiec said:
How wet should we make it (the coir)?

As wet as it needs to be to maintain the humidity you desire. You will have to add water as needed. After a while you will get in to a routine.