Substrate Sand Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZombieTurtle

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Perris, Ca.
I'm heading off to the store in a bit to pick up the sand and coco coir for my soon to be gotten tort. I'm going with a 70%Coco to 30%Sand mix. Now for the question would any of these sands work, and if so which is best? http://lllreptile.com/store/catalog/reptile-supplies/bedding/sand-gravel-and-excavator/

(I know playground sand is an option, I just don't want to drive to Home Depot if I don't have to.)

Also is this CoCo Coir?
http://lllreptile.com/store/catalog...-tech-40-gallon-bed-a-beast-brick-three-pack/

-Matt

M

Maggie Cummings

ZombieTurtle said:
I'm heading off to the store in a bit to pick up the sand and coco coir for my soon to be gotten tort. I'm going with a 70%Coco to 30%Sand mix. Now for the question would any of these sands work, and if so which is best? http://lllreptile.com/store/catalog/reptile-supplies/bedding/sand-gravel-and-excavator/

(I know playground sand is an option, I just don't want to drive to Home Depot if I don't have to.)

Also is this CoCo Coir?
http://lllreptile.com/store/catalog...-tech-40-gallon-bed-a-beast-brick-three-pack/

-Matt

you can't beat llreptile for customer service or product quality...yup that's the bricks to use. I don't know about the sand tho...I drive to Home Depot:D

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
I vote for the play sand. It is clean, cheap, and has the largest particles. Even with gas money for driving to another store you'd likely still save a lot of money over buying any type of sand at a pet store. If you do decide to get pet store sand, don't buy any that is advertised as calci-sand, vita sand, bone aid, safe from impaction, etc. I would avoid white sand and go for the darker stuff as torts tend to eat white stuff thinking it has calcium in the wild (even small stones). Also, try to get the largest sand particles, not the really fine stuff. Home Depot sells a 50 lb bag of play sand for under $4. Most tiny bags of sand (you'd need multiple bags for an average enclosure) at pet stores are closer to $10!

The coconut coir you linked to looks fine. Sometimes there is the option to buy it already hydrated (in a bag, not brick) but it's more expensive. That's the other option. I wouldn't get the coconut coir chips as they are larger particles and some smaller torts have a tough time walking on them.

Best wishes.

Kadaan

5 Year Member
Irvine, CA
I originally got a $10 bag of black sand to use, which I ended up not using and putting in my aquarium instead. For $10 I bought a bag of playsand at home depot and a 5gal bucket to store the leftovers in ;)

ZombieTurtle

5 Year Member
Perris, Ca.
I got the Coco coir last night, still havent picked up the sand, Do I even need the sand?

Kadaan

5 Year Member
Irvine, CA
ZombieTurtle said:
I got the Coco coir last night, still havent picked up the sand, Do I even need the sand?

You don't _need_ it, but the coir won't pack down very well by itself. The sand helps make the substrate 'denser' so the tort has more traction.

ZombieTurtle

5 Year Member
Perris, Ca.
Ok, Just got back from Lowes.. I'm pretty sure I got the right sand.

IMG_0523.jpg

I'm still missing a few things but I'll start putting the pen together tonight. I "Should" be getting my Tort on Friday...:D

M

Maggie Cummings

Mix the coir and sand 50/50. The sand will help the coir keep the necessary humidity. Some keepers now are making it 30% sand, but for years 50/50 has worked the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.