substrate to help Carl flip back over

Status
Not open for further replies.

CourtneyAndCarl

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Middle of nowhere
Right now Carl is on a mixture of coco coir and sand. It's really nice for him to burrow in, BUT it seems to be too soft for him to get himself flipped back over after he falls on his back.

I took him outside today to get some sun and munch on clover, and of course he ran straight for the lowest bunch of it that he could actually reach, which happened to be in an area of the yard with cypress mulch around the plants. He flipped over again, after attempting to climb the barrier of this little sectioned off part of the yard. Within a minute, he had himself flipped back with the help of the mulch for leverage.

Because of this, I'd really like to incorporate Cypress mulch into his substrate, so I don't have to worry about him quite so much. What would be the best way to do that? A thin layer on top of the coco coir/sand or a half and half mix?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
A few rocks and pebbles strategically placed will add both climbing and flipping back opportunities :)

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
Just wondering, what does he use to flip over in the 1st place? I was so worried about mine when I 1st got him that I didnt have anything in his area that he could use to flip over with. Just a thought...

CourtneyAndCarl

5 Year Member
Middle of nowhere
I didn't have anything for him to flip over on either, because I was very paranoid about it also, but he tries to climb up the side and some how manages to get flipped around.

Status
Not open for further replies.