Substrate

SamanthaKeith

Hi. We recently got 2 tortoise one being a horsefield and one being a hermann. Every time they get out of their water their substrate sticks to them. The substrate we use is the tortoise soil its getting a nightmare as it does be everywere on them and they they do both be all mucky looking. If anyone else has any suggestions it would be appreciated

Reagan

Location (City and/or State)
New Hampshire
Hi. We recently got 2 tortoise one being a horsefield and one being a hermann. Every time they get out of their water their substrate sticks to them. The substrate we use is the tortoise soil its getting a nightmare as it does be everywere on them and they they do both be all mucky looking. If anyone else has any suggestions it would be appreciated
You could always mix in cypress mulch with it and that usually helps to keep them cleaner. You also can wput some rocks before so they can "dry off" don't know if this will help much, this is more for keeping the soil out of the water. but remember they are animals and they will always be a little dirty...:p

SamanthaKeith

Awh ye i know that but cause of the substrate it does stick and and around their neck and they do be trying to use there arms to rub their head as they must feel it and it must annoy them haha

SamanthaKeith

I cant remember the name of it now. But there is a pic of it haha

Attachments

• 20170307_170800.jpg
    20170307_170800.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 19

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
That's not coconut coir. It looks like dry potting soil with perlite in it. Unless the substrate is kept moistened it's always going to stick to the tortoise when they come out of the water. Any soil based or finely ground substrate materials are going to do that if when they're dry. Mixing with cypress mulch won't solve the problem completely, just reduce it. As long as the soil is there and dry it's going to continue. Switching completely to cypress mulch will eliminate the problem of the substrate clinging to everything. But it will also be very dry and should be sprayed often.

SamanthaKeith

The one we are using is out of a pet store its for tortoises. I might get a sprayer and try keeping it wet and may e that will work what you said. I just never done it before as i taught the substrate had to be dry for tortoises :p