Substrate

Jude curran

Location (City and/or State)
Glasgow
Hi im getting a russian tortoise in 2 weeks i am looking for the best ( and cheapest ) uk substrate i can get , any ideas ?
How often do i need to change it

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas

Jude curran

Glasgow
The russian is about 1 year old. The inclosure size is 24in wide, 48in long and 23in high. Also i live in scotland and its very cold this time of year i am worried that it will be cold so should i buy a heat matt aswell as the lamp because it is really cold

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
The russian is about 1 year old. The inclosure size is 24in wide, 48in long and 23in high. Also i live in scotland and its very cold this time of year i am worried that it will be cold so should i buy a heat matt aswell as the lamp because it is really cold

For a 1 year old I would still probably go with coco coir.

Heat mats should not be used with tortoises because they don’t have heat receptors in their plastrons. Instead, a ceramic heat emitter should be used.

Jude curran

Glasgow
What if the basking are is still to cold and the cooler are is still to cold because i have a bulb that is heat and uvb and all that jazz but im not sure if i should add something else because even the rooms in my house are cold

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
What if the basking are is still to cold and the cooler are is still to cold because i have a bulb that is heat and uvb and all that jazz but im not sure if i should add something else because even the rooms in my house are cold

If it’s too cold, then get a higher wattage bulb or raise/lower it until you get the right temp. Be sure it’s a flood bulb, and not a spot bulb of any kind.

(Also, this is my 3,000th post!)

Jude curran

Glasgow
If it’s too cold, then get a higher wattage bulb or raise/lower it until you get the right temp. Be sure it’s a flood bulb, and not a spot bulb of any kind.

(Also, this is my 3,000th post!)

Confrats on the 3000th post and how do i tell if its a flood bulb

grumpytort

Bristol, England
Welcome Jude :)

I also have a one year old tort, and also from England, not as cold as Scotland but still cold! How are you housing your tort - open top table or a closed table/vivarium? I struggled with an open topped table due to not being able to maintain the heat and humidity (baby’s need higher humidity, i aim around 70-100%).

This forum has really helped me because there’s a lot of outdated information on the internet so it’s quite confusing at first but there are very experienced people on here who are happy to help to make sure your tort has the best possible environment:)

Jude curran

Glasgow
Welcome Jude :)

I also have a one year old tort, and also from England, not as cold as Scotland but still cold! How are you housing your tort - open top table or a closed table/vivarium? I struggled with an open topped table due to not being able to maintain the heat and humidity (baby’s need higher humidity, i aim around 70-100%).

This forum has really helped me because there’s a lot of outdated information on the internet so it’s quite confusing at first but there are very experienced people on here who are happy to help to make sure your tort has the best possible environment:)
Hi im using an open top tabke my russian is one year old and will be kept in a conservatory

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Hi im using an open top tabke my russian is one year old and will be kept in a conservatory

I have commented on this in your other thread. An open table is only suitable for older tortoises.

A tortoise table cannot be used in your conservatory in Scotland. You cannot possibly get the heat and humidity high enough fir a baby.

You need a closed chamber for a baby and, ideally, you need it in the house.

In summer it will be far too hot in the conservatory. In winter your tort will be too cold and is likely to get very sick.

Tortoises cannot regulate their body temperatures like you can. They are wholly reliant on external heat. Too much is as dangerous as too little.

Jude curran

Glasgow
I have commented on this in your other thread. An open table is only suitable for older tortoises.

A tortoise table cannot be used in your conservatory in Scotland. You cannot possibly get the heat and humidity high enough fir a baby.

You need a closed chamber for a baby and, ideally, you need it in the house.

In summer it will be far too hot in the conservatory. In winter your tort will be too cold and is likely to get very sick.

Tortoises cannot regulate their body temperatures like you can. They are wholly reliant on external heat. Too much is as dangerous as too little.
I will move it into my house , why do they need a closed house , if it was in a warm house with the correct lamps

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I will move it into my house , why do they need a closed house , if it was in a warm house with the correct lamps

Because your house will not be 26C day and night. And an open table lets the humidity escape; the highest you will get without a cover is around 50% rather than 80%+.

A baby Russian needs high humidity and steady high temperatures to be active and healthy.

Cold and damp can kill a tortoise.

vladimir

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
For a 1 year old I would still probably go with coco coir.

Heat mats should not be used with tortoises because they don’t have heat receptors in their plastrons. Instead, a ceramic heat emitter should be used.
I had not heard that before about no heat receptors on the plastron. Do you have more details at all? Was this topic covered previously?

waretrop

5 Year Member
NE Pa. Zone 5
i believe they know when they need to get heat and when they are too hot. Alice has a heat pad on half of her bedropm and she will move from one side to the other to control what she wants heat wise.

After owning many pet shops for over 25 years its something i learned from Alice after retiring.. i used to tell customers that they didnt feel heat or know when to find heat when they need it...not true..snakes lay on raods to warm themselves..

i think they are smart cookies...its the human that doesnt know.