addyson123

Location (City and/or State)
Oregon
Hello, I posted a thread yesterday on my enclosure and I am planning on DIY making a 4x6 table. So I have a few questions about specifics.

1. Recommendations (preferably with links) for the best (and cheapest) substrate for russians
  2. Also recommendations for the best lighting/heating options. (I am debating whether to get a MVB or some other heat lamp with a strip UV. My enclosure isn't covered so I don't know where I would put the strip but I am open to ideas)
  3. I am getting a "thermopro" and a temp gun so I can measure the temperatures, with that being said, what are the suggested levels/temps for:
    1. Warm side/under basking light
    2. Cool side
    3. Nighttime
    4. Humidity
  4. How to get my russian to eat more variety of food (He eats mainly romaine and occasionally will eat clovers but hes very picky)
    1. I do think that having the temperatures up with help with this

Last edited:
L

LasTortugasNinja

1) cheapest substrates are at your local garden center or nursery. You'll get a 10lb brick of coco coir for what Petco sells the little 2 gallon chub.

2) Build a bridge over the top of your enclosure to mount the light strip. Recommend a CHE for heat as well, since it can be on at night during chilly weather and hooked to a thermostat.

3.1) 95 to 105 degrees. 3.2) 72 degrees 3.3) 65 to 70 degrees. whatever your home's night settings are. 3.4) 50% to 60% humidity in the mornings to average 30% to 40% by the afternoon. A good spraybottle misting is all you need to do.

4) Chop his favorite food really small, and mix it with the variety of food. Tortoises use their noses for precision nibbling. If everything smells like romaine, he'll eat it all and then the new food will work its way into his "acceptable diet" files in his brain and he'll eat everything. My tortoise refused ANYTHING except colorful kibble and radicchio, and I weaned him of the pellets by chopping radicchio into tiny slivers and mixing it with his weeds, mustard greens, escarole, and other variety. After a week or two, sometimes I don't even add any radicchio and he still eats. Now I just randomly grab a pinch of everything on the menu just to mix it up.

addyson123

Oregon
1) cheapest substrates are at your local garden center or nursery. You'll get a 10lb brick of coco coir for what Petco sells the little 2 gallon chub.

2) Build a bridge over the top of your enclosure to mount the light strip. Recommend a CHE for heat as well, since it can be on at night during chilly weather and hooked to a thermostat.

3.1) 95 to 105 degrees. 3.2) 72 degrees 3.3) 65 to 70 degrees. whatever your home's night settings are. 3.4) 50% to 60% humidity in the mornings to average 30% to 40% by the afternoon. A good spraybottle misting is all you need to do.

4) Chop his favorite food really small, and mix it with the variety of food. Tortoises use their noses for precision nibbling. If everything smells like romaine, he'll eat it all and then the new food will work its way into his "acceptable diet" files in his brain and he'll eat everything. My tortoise refused ANYTHING except colorful kibble and radicchio, and I weaned him of the pellets by chopping radicchio into tiny slivers and mixing it with his weeds, mustard greens, escarole, and other variety. After a week or two, sometimes I don't even add any radicchio and he still eats. Now I just randomly grab a pinch of everything on the menu just to mix it up.

Alright, thank you so much. I will definitely try that with the food! Do you have any examples of the bride? Iv'e never heard of that.

franklin444

U.S.A
I use coco fiber made by zoom med but some people use timothy hay or cedar mulch. If you use cedar mulch then make sure none of it is sharp or pointy because that may stab your tortoise. For my heating I use an Exo Terra UV and heat lamp. My other lamp is a zoo med uva and uvb lamp. those are all great choices but make sure that your tortoises basking area is at least 100 degrees and make sure that he has a cooler side that should be 70-80 degrees.

L

LasTortugasNinja

I use coco fiber made by zoom med but some people use timothy hay or cedar mulch. If you use cedar mulch then make sure none of it is sharp or pointy because that may stab your tortoise. For my heating I use an Exo Terra UV and heat lamp. My other lamp is a zoo med uva and uvb lamp. those are all great choices but make sure that your tortoises basking area is at least 100 degrees and make sure that he has a cooler side that should be 70-80 degrees.
Cedar shouldn't be used for any reptile or mammal. It's ONLY good use is as a filler for a doggie bed (and only for beds that have an inner zipping pillowcase encased by an outer shell). Cedar has natural irritants that affect the eyes and nose.

addyson123

Oregon
Cedar shouldn't be used for any reptile or mammal. It's ONLY good use is as a filler for a doggie bed (and only for beds that have an inner zipping pillowcase encased by an outer shell). Cedar has natural irritants that affect the eyes and nose.

Okay, what substrate do you suggest?

L

LasTortugasNinja

Okay, what substrate do you suggest?
I make my own. I blend coco coir, fir wood chips, a little playground sand, sphagnum peat moss, and top soil. I blend the ratio depending on what is living in the enclosure. Sand and topsoil help pack down the soil to make walking around easier for torts. Coco coir is edible and holds humidity well (so I layer this thickest around the water and food saucers). Wood chips help a little with humidity, also add texture to the substrate. Peatmoss at the bottom layer is good for trapping humidity as well.

addyson123

Oregon
I make my own. I blend coco coir, fir wood chips, a little playground sand, sphagnum peat moss, and top soil. I blend the ratio depending on what is living in the enclosure. Sand and topsoil help pack down the soil to make walking around easier for torts. Coco coir is edible and holds humidity well. Wood chips help a little with humidity, also add texture to the substrate. Peatmoss at the bottom layer is good for trapping humidity as well.

Okay thank you.

addyson123

Oregon
I make my own. I blend coco coir, fir wood chips, a little playground sand, sphagnum peat moss, and top soil. I blend the ratio depending on what is living in the enclosure. Sand and topsoil help pack down the soil to make walking around easier for torts. Coco coir is edible and holds humidity well (so I layer this thickest around the water and food saucers). Wood chips help a little with humidity, also add texture to the substrate. Peatmoss at the bottom layer is good for trapping humidity as well.

Is this a safe mix of peat moss? Does miracle grow have toxic ingredients or fertilizer? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GTDICB6/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

addyson123

Oregon
I actually think I'm going to go with "Forest Floor" because it on sale for $20 and a lot of the reviews say it's good for russians

L

LasTortugasNinja

Is this a safe mix of peat moss? Does miracle grow have toxic ingredients or fertilizer? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GTDICB6/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20
Miracle grow all have fertilizers in it. Best bet is to go into a nursery and look for their bulk packs. Usually 20lbs or so. It's a huge pack. Lasts years if you are using it mixed.
I actually think I'm going to go with "Forest Floor" because it on sale for $20 and a lot of the reviews say it's good for russians
Nothing wrong with that. I'd mix some coco coir with it to make a more solid floor. Wood chips alone make it hard for a tort to walk around.