substrate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snapper

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
British Columbia
Hi everyone, I just have a question about substrate....I have a young Greek tortoise, and I usually use Reptibark as substrate, but I ran out when I was cleaning the enclosure. I am temporarily using aspen along with it, and I was wondering if this is ok for the time being.
Thanks for you help

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Snapper:

Welcome to the forum!!

There are many Greek tortoise keepers here on the forum who use the aspen bedding for substrate. Nothing wrong with it. You just have to be creative and find other ways than a moist substrate for providing the humidity required.

Snapper

5 Year Member
British Columbia
I read, and have been told that the Greeks require very low humidity, so you don't really need to do anything extra with that. Is this correct?

firework

5 Year Member
I think the Greek can "tolerate" with less water, but that doesn't mean they "should" be left with little water. Aspen bedding is fine, just make sure you mist the substrate every now and then, provide a water dish and feed lots of fresh food.

By the way, I use aspen shavings for my hamsters. May be it depends on the quality, I found mine very dusty. Don't know if that can cause problems to tortoises.

Snapper said:
I read, and have been told that the Greeks require very low humidity, so you don't really need to do anything extra with that. Is this correct?

Snapper

5 Year Member
British Columbia
This aspen is not dusty, but still not my ideal bedding choice. I do have a water dish for my tortoise, and soak it once a day. I was told I wouldn't need to do anything else, for example, misting the enclosure.

Status
Not open for further replies.