Not open for further replies.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
If its too young to be outside, then I really, REALLY like cypress mulch.

trentlee111

5 Year Member
Louisiana
emysemys said:
If its too young to be outside, then I really, REALLY like cypress mulch.

thats what i keep seeeing...where do u get urs? Also ive seen that people mix it with top soil..do u do that?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
No, I use it right out of the bag.

Here on the U.S. west coast, you have to buy little bags at the pet shop. Its marketed by Zoo Med or T-Rex. Zoo Med's is called Forest Floor and T-Rex's is called Jungle Bed. Its a little expensive, but well worth it. In other parts of the country, it is readily available at Lowe's, etc. in the garden department...large bags for around $3.

If you have an Orchard Supply Hardware in your town, they carry Wonder Bark brand Orchid bark. This is my #2 favorite. I buy the fine grade. You can get a bigger bag of orchid bark for a cheaper price.

trentlee111

5 Year Member
Louisiana
i think im going to try the cypress multch...just until i can build something outside for him...are yours outside?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yes. All my tortoises live in outdoor habitats with heated sheds or dog houses. I have three indoor habitats...baby box turtles, a dog-chewed box turtle and several hatchling desert tortoises. I use either orchid bark or cypress mulch for those three also.

pongpagong

5 Year Member
I'm using cypress mulch with coconut coir for my sulcata..the other half of the enclosure have lots of timothy hay..and he loves to stay under the hay like a hiding spot..eventhough he has a separate hiding spot like a dog house.

trentlee111

5 Year Member
Louisiana
pongpagong said:
I'm using cypress mulch with coconut coir for my sulcata..the other half of the enclosure have lots of timothy hay..and he loves to stay under the hay like a hiding spot..eventhough he has a separate hiding spot like a dog house.

do you have any pictures u can post for me to see?

pongpagong

5 Year Member
trentlee111 said:
pongpagong said:

do you have any pictures u can post for me to see?

Hi sorry, just got back in this forum..sure I will post some pics soon. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.