Substrate

Status
Not open for further replies.

redfootraider

5 Year Member
Bought a bag if potting soil n it says it has natural fertilizers is that ok or r they still toxic for my tortoise?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
is it Organic? or is it regular soil? you really need to find out what the natural fertilizer source is----then you can determine if it is safe or not...:D

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Potting soil labeled as "organic" contains pulverized poultry droppings as fertilizer. Some of the "non-organic" potting soils contain other sources of fertilizer, some chemical based, but not all of them. There are actually some that contain natural fertilizers but aren't marketed as "organic".

Fertilizers aside, potting soil basically consists of compost material (leaves, sticks) & sphagnum (peat) moss. Many also contain some sand. Many contain perlite, which is a type of volcanically formed glass that is porous. It traps and holds moisture within the potting soil. The perlite are the little white beads that you see in the mix.

If fertilizer is a concern than bagged top soil is a good alternative to potting soil, organic or inorganic. Prepared top soil usually consists of soil (dirt), finely ground leaf and wood compost and lime.

Or you can make your own substrate if you have a source of chemical free soil by adding your own mixture of coconut coir, ground leaves and/or sphagnum or peat moss.

redfootraider

5 Year Member
So if I go to home depot I can just ask for bagged top soil n they will know wat it is so I can just ask for it?

Status
Not open for further replies.