Substrates for my Russian

thetortoiseguy

5 Year Member
Coco fibre

ImageUploadedByTortForum1383896322.472507.jpg

My awsome and amazing Russian tort (lightning) playin on some coco fibre he loves to burrow in it and he loves it when his feet in

I know that when it's damp to not put it in the enclosure so it has been drying out for a week can't wait to put It in the vivarium [SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH AND SMILING EYES]

Last edited by a moderator:

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Orange County, So Cal
RE: Coco fibre

No wait, damp is good. Humidity is good, as long as you keep it warm. I am not a Russian tortoise keeper but I think you will be okay putting it in, with lights and heat it will dry faster but I know for my little leopards I keep it wet at the bottom (mine is 3 inches thick all around) to create the 80-90% humidity I need for them in there. Just be sure the temp stays above 80 degrees. Hopefully a Russian expert will add some insight. : )

thetortoiseguy

5 Year Member
Coco fibre

Thanks the reason why I am drying it is because it gets really damp and the viv windows get covered with condensation and Russians live in the desert so I want to keep it dry

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

Russians live underground in the dry areas and its not always dry there. Only certain times of the year. Damp coir is fine and good for them. It will help them grow smoothly, as will a humid hide. All 20 of my russians are on damp coir. The whole "keep them dry" thing is proving to be wrong with every species I try more humid methods with, including russians.

Here is a care sheet:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-80698.html

WillTort2

5 Year Member

For my Russians, I try to keep the coco coir and top soil blend just damp enough that it doesn't look dry. Two ways I've found that work well for adding coco coir. 1) Add warm water to fully expand the coco coir brick. Then squeeze out the excess moisture and add the damp coir to the enclosure. Simple but a little messy. (Squeeze it with both hands as tight as possible; or clamp it between 2 blocks of wood.) 2) Use large tub, put 3 coco coir bricks into tub; add warm water and mix with rake. After fully mixed, rake it to one end and each day scoop the top layers off and add to your enclosure as it dries to a desired level of dampness.

The younger your Russian, the higher the enclosure humidity need to be. Make your substrate deep enough that your Russian can dig in to select his comfort level.

By having a cool end and a warm end with a basking spot you allow your adult Russian to self regulate their temperature. By having a deep substrate you will allow your Russian to self regulate their humidity.

I also mix or stir their substrate every few days as I notice the area near the basking spot will dry out quickly. Adding a little water to the substrate daily will help maintain higher moisture levels.

I'll advise reading Tom's methods as he incorporates what he's learned with Sullies into raising Russians.

Good luck.

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas

Just my $.02 but here is what I do. I hydrate according to the instructions and then I use a bag of loose coir to even out the moisture. That way, I don't have too much and I don't have to wait or squeeze. I simply mix in a bit to the damp coir and then I layer a layer on top of the damp. Works like a charm.

thetortoiseguy

5 Year Member
Coconut coir /fibre
Play sand
Orchid bark
And I use astro turf underneath
I uses to use saw dust but not anymore

hunterk997

10 Year Member!
Wayland, NY
While this seems like an okay mix, I wouldn't advise using sand, it can cause impaction. And I have never heard of using saw dust, but I can't imagine it would be a good substrate.