Substrates

Vicki773

Location (City and/or State)
Liverpool
Hi all. I have a spur thighed tortoise. My son gave me a couple of years back. I got a basic set up. I have just bought a table top and im struggle to decide what substrate to use. Im thinking of a combination. Ive used tortoise soil but find after being in her water she walks round with mud boots on. Dried edible stuff its hard to see where to clean and pellets just look like a cat box. Any ideas??????

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi all. I have a spur thighed tortoise. My son gave me a couple of years back. I got a basic set up. I have just bought a table top and im struggle to decide what substrate to use. Im thinking of a combination. Ive used tortoise soil but find after being in her water she walks round with mud boots on. Dried edible stuff its hard to see where to clean and pellets just look like a cat box. Any ideas??????
Hello and welcome. Please give this a read:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
My substrate of choice is orchid bark. You might be able to find it at a plant nursery. It comes in three sizes, fine, medium and large. I like the fine because it's easier for them to walk on. Orchid bark is from fir trees. Pet stores sell it as Forest Floor, Jungle Mix, etc.