Substrates

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamiescorer

5 Year Member
HI all I got a baby marginated tortoise a few weeks ago, he came with a tortoise table and aspen, after reading some posts on here I'm concerned that this is to dry. Although he seems to enjoy digging around in the aspen, I've read somewhere that play sand and top soil is good, however how moist should it be kept and how do you maintain the right level of humidity, is damping it down with water advisable.
Thanks Jamie

LLLReptile

TFO Sponsor
5 Year Member
jamiescorer said:
HI all I got a baby marginated tortoise a few weeks ago, he came with a tortoise table and aspen, after reading some posts on here I'm concerned that this is to dry. Although he seems to enjoy digging around in the aspen, I've read somewhere that play sand and top soil is good, however how moist should it be kept and how do you maintain the right level of humidity, is damping it down with water advisable.
Thanks Jamie

Try giving him a pile of eco earth or finely shredded damp coconut to burrow into. You could also mist him and his enclosure daily to make up for the lack of humid hide.

I've seen some keepers raise beautiful, perfect looking tortoises in relatively dry conditions, and other raise them in relatively humid conditions. Try a few things and see what works! Personally, I'd just add a humid area for him to go to if he wants, and let him decide what he needs.

-Jen

jamiescorer

5 Year Member
Hi sorry about the delay I'm struggling to add photos, I'll post as soon as I work out how !!

animalfreak

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Dallas Texas BABY!
I've been told to use coco coir. I use Eco earth which is coco husks I think. But I think I need to add top soil because they get the coconut shavings in their mouths.

Status
Not open for further replies.