Sulcata and Wester WA?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chadk

10 Year Member!
I'm thinking of another tort. I have a russian now that is kept indoors, but I have plans to make a secure summer pen for it. But I'm thinking about getting another tort.

So if I get a young one, I have room in the house for a second tort table, but only so much. As it grows, I'll need to keep it outdoors at least most of the year - maybe bring it in during those days when the temps really drop. In western WA, the winters average in the 40's and cloudy and\or rainy. Summers are in the 70s, with a few days pushing 100.

I'm looking at the side of my house that has full southern facing sun access. At one point I was thinking of putting a garden here, but ended putting in on the other side of the house in the far corner (I'm on a little less than an acre).

Anyway, the spot I'm thinking of is on a slight hill. I'd terrace it out to about 4 or 5 sections that would measure about 5 square feet each. I could make the terraces such that a tort could easily climb up and down safely. I'd build a wood (or other material) wall that goes about 6 inches below the soil. In the upper level, I'd keep the entire 5x5 section covered and insultated. Maybe even give it a door that I can close to keep the tort in there in extreme weather. I'd be able to lift the top as it would be hinged and lockable. It would have ventalation, a heater of some kind (maybe a mega-ray, CHE, or both). The next section would be covered on the top by a greenhouse type material - keeping out rain, but allowing in light. The remaining sections would be only hardwire cloth re-enforced to proteced against dogs, raccoons, and curious kids ;) The last of those hardwire cloth levels would be a shallow wading\soaking pool.

Would that work for a sulcata? If not, what kind of tort could that work for? Could I put more than one tort in there? Maybe my russian and another??

Thanks!

chadk

10 Year Member!
I had a few more thoughts on this since posting... The area of the yard I have him in is fenced off entirely for my dog. The dog only uses it when supervised. He's an indoor dog, but uses this area to run off leash for 10-20 minutes a few times per day. The area is about 50ft by 50 ft, surouned mostly by 6ft cedar, with some 4ft wire fencing in areas. I could secure the lower fence areas (tort proof) and use this 50X50 area for his supervised exercise time. I don't use fertilizer or treat for weeds, so there is plenty of dandilions and grasses. I'm still not sure about how well this would fly in Western WA. In poking around online, I know there are a few reputable breeders and rescuers here in Western WA who have outdoor pens for Sulcatas and other torts. I'm just not sure on all the logistics (year round care) and how practicle it is.

M

Maggie Cummings

I live in Corvallis Oregon and my Sulcata spend 7 months or so in a heated shed. I don't think your weather is too much different then mine and I don't think a tortoise will be able to stay outside for most of the time...does it rain there as much as it does here?

chadk

10 Year Member!
I'm sure it does - if not more (rain).

How big of a shed are we talking about? Would my idea work of a 5x5 heated + insulated area attached to a 5x5 covered, but not insulated, then 5x5 open for sun + rain, then a 5x5 open with wading poo? Then a 50x50 area for summer time exercise?

Hmmm, I also have an unfinished basement area that i've been looking at. It has about 900 square feet with dirt floor (pastic tarp covering it) and exposed insulation on the walls\ceiling. It is actually considered the house's crawl space, but the ceilings are like 12 feet high.... I could clean up the floor and make it all dirt and add some sand, heat source, MVB lamp, etc. Might even be able to put in a few windows to allow some natural light in. Maybe add a door directly to the outside... It is a big space though, and would be hard to heat the whole area. It is even really cool in the summer...

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
If your dog is going to be using the area for a bathroom, just an added item to think about is what do you use on it for medical things? Like for heartworm control and the like. If you use products with ivermectin type properties, they can be pass to the tort and be dangerous to him.

M

Maggie Cummings

I would not allow a dog to poop or pee in a Sulcata pen. You don't want to eat food that someone has peed on, don't make your Sulcata do it either.

Here's a Sulcata challenge I was given. Read it and decide if you really want an animal like this and if you really have the room and can handle the problems you will incur with Sulcata...

http://turtlerescues.com/sulcata_challenge.htm

chadk

10 Year Member!
Jacqui said:
If your dog is going to be using the area for a bathroom, just an added item to think about is what do you use on it for medical things? Like for heartworm control and the like. If you use products with ivermectin type properties, they can be pass to the tort and be dangerous to him.

The dog pen would be moved to the other side of the yard - they would not share. But I'd need to clean it out well and let it sit for a month or so (rain and sun should help clean things up - after physically removing anything obvious). Fortunately the dog only uses one corner right now to do his business, so it won't be that hard to deal with.

maggie3fan said:
I would not allow a dog to poop or pee in a Sulcata pen. You don't want to eat food that someone has peed on, don't make your Sulcata do it either.

Here's a Sulcata challenge I was given. Read it and decide if you really want an animal like this and if you really have the room and can handle the problems you will incur with Sulcata...

http://turtlerescues.com/sulcata_challenge.htm

Thanks Maggie. So far, I think i've taken all of those into consideration and find nothing suprising. The biggest factor remains my concern for being able to keep the tort happy and healthy living in an outdoor shed + yard year round in western WA.

Do you have adequate space to provide for a Sulcata? I think so. But during winter space would be very restricted to small heated tort shed of 5x5 to 5x10 at most.
Are you willing to build a young Sulcata a tortoise table?
Yes!
Are you willing to give up space in your home, shed or garage for a Sulcata?
Would build a small tort shed

Are you willing/able to afford the heating costs to heat said shed or garage?
Yep.
Are you willing/able to pay the costs of vet bills for a Sulcata? Yep.
Are you willing to clean up that messy poop on a daily basis? Yep. I have a mini-farm and it would just be part of the daily rounds.
Are you willing to spend the money for nutritious greens/hay during winter when the tortoise cannot graze outside?
I already buy bails of quality hay for my goats and rabbits. The tort would just share... We have our own organice veggie garden and our yard is full of weeds and grasses that are not treated with pesticides or fertilizers.
Are you willing to share your bathtub with a Sulcata for its soaks?
For the young ones, yes. For adults, they'd have an outdoor wading pool. I already use my sink and tub for my current tort, snakes, and lizards...
Are you willing to sacrifice your beautiful landscaping for a Sulcata?
Beautiful? The tort yard is nothing special - so this is no issue...

Are you willing to make a lifelong commitment to owning a Sulcata?
I treat all my pets this way.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Foothills above Sacramento CA
5x5 area is not big enough for an adult sulcata. the 50x50 yard s perfect. put the heated shed n that yard and it can come and go as he wants. mine wont come out if its too cold and put themselves away when it cools down. If you use the basement.. how do you plan on getting a 100 pound tort up and down the stairs? if you drop it t could be deadly.

chadk

10 Year Member!
Laura said:
5x5 area is not big enough for an adult sulcata. the 50x50 yard s perfect. put the heated shed n that yard and it can come and go as he wants. mine wont come out if its too cold and put themselves away when it cools down. If you use the basement.. how do you plan on getting a 100 pound tort up and down the stairs? if you drop it t could be deadly.

It's not really a basement - as we are a split level with a sliding door on the lower level.

Right, the 5X5 or maybe 5X10 when fully grown, would be the heated shed. He'd have 24X7 access to the other 5X20 sections (non heated) and then use of the full yard area only when I'm home and let him out to be causually supservised while I do projects around home. Kind of like how I house my chickens. They have a roosting spot\coop with nests and protection from weather. They have 24X7 access to a small enclosed yard fully procteced from predators and some rain cover, but otherwise open to the elements. Then when I'm home, I let them have access to a larger portion of the yard around my garden and fruit tree area.

Status
Not open for further replies.