sulcata care

Status
Not open for further replies.

scottkjr33

5 Year Member
Hello, I am about to get my first sulcata tortoise and I wanted to know if it is ok to have a sapling maple tree planted in the enclosure and how big should the enclosure should be when the tortoise is fully grown.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:) if you are getting a hatchling up to a yearling, read the threads below in my post. If your getting an older one. Then they don't need as much humidity, but hydration is always important and a weekly soak is also good. As for an enclosure, as big as possible. Sullies can be destructive. The more room they have the less they might destroy. I don't know about the tree, however, most torts won't eat what's not good for them anyway.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome. The bigger the better for enclosures. They will use as much room as you give them. My adults have a 7000 sq. ft. pen, and I feel like its too small for them. I'd like them to have an acre or so, and I'm working on that goal right now. They can survive in and 8x8' enclosure, but why? That's not a very good life in my opinion. Give them as much room as you can.

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Hello and welcome. The tree should be fine. Just how much room do you have? Do you have a fenced in yard? The more room they have the better off they are. Mine right now is 2 1/2 years old and she has the whole back yard.

scottkjr33

5 Year Member
Thank you, right now I have a 3x6 space setup for a hatchling but I have a fenced in 1/2 an acre of backyard. For when it gets older.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum, Scott.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Hi Scott and welcome to the forum. I think your setup for the baby is good for now, and your plans for the 1/2 acre enclosure is great when he get older. As far as the maple tree is concerned, I would plant it in a pot which can be placed inside his inside enclosure provided it has the uv lighting that it would normally get outside. Later, when the tree starts to grow, you can transplant it outside their enclosure in the yard. Be mindful that if you'll need to transplant it outside it is always stressful for the tree. Special care is needed so that it doesn't die. If I were you, I'd just plant it outside near the outside enclosure. This way, it doesn't need to be disturbed later. There are so many other plants that you can put inside an enclosure that won't require transplanting later. Look into some of those, if you like.

Status
Not open for further replies.