Sulcata dog attack before and after

Brandonfij01

5 Year Member
Basically I made this to show the after effect of a dog attack on a tortoise. I am just showing this so every one can be more confident in there tortoise surviving a very extraordinary event. Basically my tortoise was attacked by a large dog and after large vet bills and lots of care he survived and thrived. He had category 3 dog bite wounds... He had internals visible (left side near leg of injured photo) and a large part of his shell totally cracked off, he had a couple holes on the top of his shell and a large part of his shell near the tail was broken off. He was only a year old in the first and injured picture and one year later in his healed picture. He has made great improvement and even thought this event happened, he still grew about three inches. Well I hope this does not happen to anyone else. ( great mobile update, works really well)

Attachments

• 1395259696871.jpg
    1395259696871.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 241
  • 1395259715394.jpg
    1395259715394.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 242

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
So glad he is doing good. I hope all the people that still thinks dogs and tortoises can be together will see this. Unfortunately, this is usually the outcome of a dog and tortoise being together. Keep up the good work with him.

Brandonfij01

5 Year Member
Re: RE: Sulcata dog attack before and after

wellington said:
So glad he is doing good. I hope all the people that still thinks dogs and tortoises can be together will see this. Unfortunately, this is usually the outcome of a dog and tortoise being together. Keep up the good work with him.

I definitely underestimated my dogs jumping capabilities, my dog jumped a three foot chicken wire cage and snatched the tortoise up for about a minute before we had found her knawing on him like a bone. We now have this large cage which is four feet tall and very sturdy with steaks and cinder blocks and a bird net on the top to protect from hawks and such.

Attachments

• 1395260447319.jpg
    1395260447319.jpg
    172.4 KB · Views: 186

Brandonfij01

5 Year Member

laramill said:
A very important lesson to share. Thank you.

Wish it didn't happened but it did....just want to help others with the lessons I learned

Evy

5 Year Member
San Diego, CA
How long it took you to introduce them together?
I do understand that thing happen but you should watch your pets interaction for a while before you feel confident for your tortoise to be without supervision. It also depends of your dog's training and the breed.
I have an European hound mix and he is great with my sully. But I know my dog and I know his limits.

I do agree not every dog is the same and yes please do not leave your pets without supervision.

I'm sorry that this happened.

Brandonfij01

5 Year Member

Evy said:
How long it took you to introduce them together?
I do understand that thing happen but you should watch your pets interaction for a while before you feel confident for your tortoise to be without supervision. It also depends of your dog's training and the breed.
I have an European hound mix and he is great with my sully. But I know my dog and I know his limits.

I do agree not every dog is the same and yes please do not leave your pets without supervision.

I'm sorry that this happened.

Well she is a big bulldog / pitbull mix... she seemed fine with the tortoise, though we didn't think they could interact physically anyways with the large cage... but she managed to break into it. We now have unfortunately downsized but it is very secure and no way being broke into by a dog. Anyways our dog was so punished that she never even sniffs the new tortoise cage

Attachments

• 1395281576799.jpg
    1395281576799.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 93

RV's mom

10 Year Member!
Phoenix, arizona
We have a rescue Staffordshire terrier (pocket pittie) who is 98% respectful of RV. Trixie will steal carrots and lettuce, but otherwise makes a wide berth. I think the fact the tort is over double her weight has something g to do with it. However it is a rare thing to leave them alone together... check .. Trixie won't go into the back yard if RV is blocking the patio. Gives me a look like I'm a crazy person or something...

Sent from my KFJWI using Tapatalk