Sulcata enclosure

Filbertsmom

Location (City and/or State)
California
Hi all
I’m new to the forum and a first time sulcata mommy. I’ve wanted one since I was a child and this year for our anniversary my husband bought me one.

I have a few questions about the enclosure and substrate, as I’ve read on other posts I think I may have the wrong stuff in there.
I was told by the guy we bought him from that alfalfa pellets are the best because if he eats it he won’t get sick. But reading other posts I don’t think that’s true.

Since he is a grass eater can I buy a few pieces of grass sod and use that in the bottom of the enclosure. Right now he is in a 30 gallon glass enclosure with no lid

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Sounds like you have a lot to change. For now, give these a read and come back with questions-
How To Raise A Healthy Sulcata Or Leopard, Version 2.0 https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php...ealthy-Sulcata-Or-Leopard,-Version-2.0.79895/

For Those Who Have a Young Sulcata... https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/For-Those-Who-Have-a-Young-Sulcata....76744/

Beginner Mistakes https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/Beginner-Mistakes.45180/

Don’t use grass sod. It’s probably treated with all sorts of chemicals, and wont hold the humidity he needs. You need a 2-4+ inch layer of fine grade orchid bark, coco coir, or fine grade cypress mulch.

A 30 gallon tank is too small. I would use a 40 as an absolute bare minimum, with 4x2 feet being preferable.

You need to have an entirely enclosed enclosure to hold 80-100% humidity.

Filbertsmom

California
80-100% humidity? For a sulcata? I have read a lot of articles and care sheets and all of them have said 40-50% humidity otherwise respiratory issues and shell rot can occur.

kazjimmy

baldwin park
You have read lots of wrong information over internet and YouTube. For your first question, alfalfa pellets are for horse and adult tortoise not for new hatching. High fiber grass does not mean dry grass. For the humidity, if you raise your tortoise in a wrong humidity range, you will face pyramiding or dead.

All your question can find here in this site.

All the best

Filbertsmom

California
Yes. I know that the alfalfa pellets are wrong, I discovered that from other threads here on the forum. That’s why I asked about using grass as the substrate. I am getting the coco coir today.

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
Sullies arent prone to shell rot, so no worries there. They are hatched during monsoon season in the wild in Africa, and burrow underground where the humidity is high. The damp coco coir can help to emulate these conditions.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
80-100% humidity? For a sulcata? I have read a lot of articles and care sheets and all of them have said 40-50% humidity otherwise respiratory issues and shell rot can occur.
Almost everything Written and ONLINE is old, outdated information. We have recently learned that baby sulcatas (and leopards) hatch out during the monsoon season. This means they hatch out to a green world of moisture and humidity, with plenty to eat. We've been doing it all wrong form many, many years. But now's YOUR chance to do it right! Clear your mind of all the old, useless information about raising baby sulcatas that's stored in there and read those articles that TechnoCheese linked for you,

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Oh, and sulcatas are NOT prone to shell rot. You could probably keep them in a swamp and as long as it's a clean swamp, they won't get shell rot.

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
Congrats on an awesome anniversary gift! I also have a Sulcata. I know it’s hard to reconcile your mind with so much conflicting advice but I can tell you from experience that I have followed all the guidelines from people here and I have a very healthy growing tortoise! We would love to see pictures of your new tortoise and it’s environment. Good luck!!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi all
I’m new to the forum and a first time sulcata mommy. I’ve wanted one since I was a child and this year for our anniversary my husband bought me one.

I have a few questions about the enclosure and substrate, as I’ve read on other posts I think I may have the wrong stuff in there.
I was told by the guy we bought him from that alfalfa pellets are the best because if he eats it he won’t get sick. But reading other posts I don’t think that’s true.

Since he is a grass eater can I buy a few pieces of grass sod and use that in the bottom of the enclosure. Right now he is in a 30 gallon glass enclosure with no lid

Hello and welcome. Good advice on this thread so far.

I wouldn't use coco coir for a sulcata baby because its to messy. You won't like it. Fine grade orchid bark works best.

Here is an example of the type of enclosure that works best:
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/new-stack-of-animal-plastics-closed-chambers.165626/

Filbertsmom

California
Thank you Tom. I was thinking of doing half bark half coir. With the hide being on the coir side and food and water being on the bark side.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thank you Tom. I was thinking of doing half bark half coir. With the hide being on the coir side and food and water being on the bark side.
Try it. See if you like it. Then come back and give us an update about your experience with the two substrates. We will all learn from your experience. :)

Filbertsmom

California
Try it. See if you like it. Then come back and give us an update about your experience with the two substrates. We will all learn from your experience. :)

Thank you for all your advice! I’m so glad I now know that I have options as far as substrate goes. The place we got him from was so adamant about not using anything but the alfalfa pellets. This forum is awesome

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thank you for all your advice! I’m so glad I now know that I have options as far as substrate goes. The place we got him from was so adamant about not using anything but the alfalfa pellets. This forum is awesome
Yeah... Alfalfa pellets were the way to go back in the old days. The old days before some of us realized we were wrong and it yielded poor results. We know better now and have a decades of proof with thousands of tortoises to back it up.

Sadly, some people haven't kept up. Let that store and the breeder know there are better ways now and that those old ways were wrong and harmful.

Filbertsmom

California
Yeah... Alfalfa pellets were the way to go back in the old days. The old days before some of us realized we were wrong and it yielded poor results. We know better now and have a decades of proof with thousands of tortoises to back it up.

Sadly, some people haven't kept up. Let that store and the breeder know there are better ways now and that those old ways were wrong and harmful.

I got my little Filbert at a reptile convention that comes to my town twice a year. The store that was there selling him is actually 3 hours away from me.
It did sound weird to me for them to say dirt or other substrates will cause impact ion, when that’s what they live in if they are not in captivity as a pet.