Sulcata heat question?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WinterDB

5 Year Member
Okay, so, I'm buying a sulcata tortoise next week, i was going to do it this week, but my paycheck came a bit short, so i decided just to buy everything for its indoor enclosure. I just bought the T-REX 150watt reptile day & night red heat lamp. I turned it on for a bit to see how hot it would get.
Right under the heat lamp, it was about 100-103
Around it it was around 90-95
Is this too hot for a hatchling? I just want to make sure.[/font]

Attachments

• IMG_0296.JPG
    IMG_0296.JPG
    78.5 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_0295.JPG
    IMG_0295.JPG
    126.7 KB · Views: 26

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi there, WinterDB, and welcome to the Forum!!

That light is just fine for night time, however I wouldn't use it during the day. You need a bulb that puts out UVB rays for the day time. Also, your habitat looks pretty small to me.

WinterDB

5 Year Member
My habitat isn't permanent. It's only for the first few months as i try to put together a good sum of money to get a really big enclosure/tortoise table for during the winter time.
I have a huge backyard that was perfect for a good sized enclosure for my tort. I just want to make sure that for its time indoors, it isn't too heavily heated.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I agree with Yvonne. There are four temps to be concerned with. Warm side, cool side, basking spot and night.

I think that 150 watts in that small tub is way too much. There needs to be a thermal gradient where one side is warmer than the other. I would recommend a 50-65 watt regular incandescent flood bulb from the hardware store on a 12 hour timer for a basking spot. Put it over one side. Also you don't want to use that clamp. It will fail eventually. I prefer to hang the light from overhead. This makes it much easier to adjust the height and get the right temps. Then I like to use ceramic heating element over the middle on a thermostat set to 80. This will maintain your ambient day and night. If your tortoise is not able to get outside for regular sunshine the you can use a mercury vapor bulb instead of the regular incandescent.

Also, since you have not gotten it yet, can I ask the source? Did you make sure the baby is not housed on rabbit pellets with no water bowl and once a week soaks? Most sellers unfortunately do not start their babies very well and many of them die a few weeks or months down the road. My apologies if you already know this and have found a quality source.

WinterDB

5 Year Member
i'v replied twice, but my computer seems to be refreshing the page right when i do it, so it doesn't show up on the thread :S. Just to be safe i'll reply again..

I'll be sure to do that immediately, thanks!

Yea, my tub is only about 3x 1 1/2, but this is only going to be for the first couple of months, I couldn't find a bigger tub at walmart OR kmart.
But right when i find i bigger one i'm going to buy it, so he has plenty of room to walk around.
I have a huge backyard that's in the process of being tort-proofed ^_^ The indoor enclosure should only be used at nighttime / during the winter. When it starts getting colder around here i'll get a uva/uvb bulb. I'm buying the baby tort from azsulcata next friday, it's come highly recommended that i purchase from him, and i'm glad to be buying from such a highly esteemed source.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
That tub is way, way to small and its going to be hard to use and get the right temps and all. Go to home depot and get a 50 gallon tub/tote. They aren't that expensive and will be a lot easier. Your baby needs the right temps, humidity, hides, water dish, large enough to get into and soak, food tile/dish and room to walk around. He is not going to be able to have all that and walking room and for three months. Unless you can keep him outside and only put him in that box to sleep at night then you really need a larger enclosure. If you have to, wait yet another week before you have it shipped. Read the threads at the bottom of my post. They will help explain and they are a great way to raise a healthy, smooth sulcata.

jpmcclure

5 Year Member
Modesto (Northern) California
A lot of people recommend the plastic totes you can buy at Walmart or target to convert to a tortoise table. I've seen some very nicely built ones here on the forum and with those, you can make a very nice and affordable enclosure. Also, with 2 put together, you can make a warmer side and a cooler side. I'll try to find one of the threads and send you the link.

I can't find it. It was a couple months ago but someone posted a pic where he had 2 plastic totes. Each had one side removed and those sides were butted up together. he had one side for his warm side, one for cooler. It was very inventive and inexpensive. If someone knows who I'm talking about, pls repost the pics for ideas for this user.

jpmcclure

5 Year Member
Modesto (Northern) California
Well duh, I didn't realize it WAS a plastic tote! Lol. Think I might have gotten confused with another post or I just haven't had enough coffee yet. But hey, the 2 butted up together is still a great idea, no? Lol. I'm a weirdo.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Winter, You DID find a good source. Austin takes great care of is babes. You are all set.

WinterDB

5 Year Member
jpmcclure said:
Well duh, I didn't realize it WAS a plastic tote! Lol. Think I might have gotten confused with another post or I just haven't had enough coffee yet. But hey, the 2 butted up together is still a great idea, no? Lol. I'm a weirdo.

No way, that's a great idea!! You're weirdness has officially inspired me to do that very same thing^_^

WinterDB

5 Year Member
I've bought a new 50watt bulb, and im beginning the Frankenstein tub as we speak!

Status
Not open for further replies.