Growth rate

Status
Not open for further replies.

oknursedana

5 Year Member
Question. Can a Sulcata grow too fast? Tiny went from 103 g on 8/18 to 125 g tonight. I didn't think s/he was eating much of the mazauri but I guess I'm wrong. He gets grass, dandelions, plantain, along with some store bought greens. ImageUploadedByTortForum1377310544.059542.jpg

This is about a week ago. ImageUploadedByTortForum1377310658.779453.jpg

His temps are 80 on the cool side, 95 hot side with basking area of 105. The humidity during the night is in the 90%. During the day the cool side stays up there but the hot side gets down to 70%. He has 2 humid hides, 1 on each side. He tends spend most of his time in the hide on the hot side. The substrate under it is moist and he loves to burrow in it. His enclosure is fully enclosed. I will post some pics of it tomorrow. Any thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:

sibi

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Florida, USA
Torts grow at different rates. They often have growth spurs especially if he's eating mazuri. I wouldn't worry about how much he's grown. Sulcatas will grow rapidly depending on various factors especially diet and exercise. If he's eating all the foods that is healthy for him, then he's going to grow. Remember that sulcatas are eating machines. Keep up the good work. You're doing fine. Btw, torts can grow too fast if they are being feed foods that are not healthy for him like chicken, fruits. From what I can tell, you're feeding your tort all the right stuff.

Cfr200

10 Year Member!
Springfield, Mo
One of mime would double her weight every 6 weeks until she got to be about 1.5kgs. I had another take a very long time to grow. The one who grew very quickly shell is very smooth the one that grew slow shows signs of pyramiding.

oknursedana

5 Year Member
Thanks! He's a little bumpy but he started off dry from where I got him and before I found this forum. He sure is funny. He likes me to stroke his head and he pees on my daughter every time she holds him. Which most people probably wouldn't think is funny but we laugh.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I think you are doing an excellent job of raising him and that growth rate is a sign of good health. Just be sure to keep up with the calcium supplementation during the "growth spurts".

abclements

5 Year Member
He looks great! I wouldn't be worried unless he's doubling his weight every week lol!

oknursedana

5 Year Member
Here's pics of his enclosure. ImageUploadedByTortForum1377347569.693505.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1377347584.196585.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.