Sulcata? Hmm...

Status
Not open for further replies.

clare n

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Essex uk
He last day of our holiday we decided to have a break from the new house to indulge in an enjoyable pastime of ours, garden centres :) (yes we r 28 going on 60 lol) whilst looking about the marine fish bit (his hobby) I wandered to the reptile bit. Normally there are a few RTs mincing about, to my amazement, there they were... Three adorable baby sulcatas. I fell in love. Now I'm wondering... Once Phillips enclosure is complete and he's happy... I'd LOVE to up the hobby.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
As long as you have room for an adult and can provide for his winter needs, I see no problem.

clare n

5 Year Member
Essex uk
Yes there is room. I watched them for a good 15 minutes, fascinating. Beautiful little/giant creatures lol. Been reading all walkingrock's bits. Some serious consideration happening in the Newton household ;)

Jacob

5 Year Member
California
Congrats, make sure you can provide fully for it :p

clare n

5 Year Member
Essex uk
I'd give him everything lol, Phillip is thoroughly spoilt :D need to build up essentials first and prepare. Shan't go in head first. By the end of the summer tho my garden shall be a tortoise paradise. :D

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Read the threads at the bottom of my post. Good prep reading before you get your little Sullies.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
OMG! You've been bitten by the bug.

clare n

5 Year Member
Essex uk
Yes thank you I will have a thorough read and research :)
Emysemys yes I have completely!I came here for a piece of advice on pink pee expecting to go away and carry on as normal, then I started reading and now I'm hooked! I blame you lot... ;) I'm under your spell I'm not entirely sure what you've all done to me lol ;) :D

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
(Evil laugh...) Moohoohoohahahahaaaaaa.... We've got you now...

Seriously though. I really do think sulcatas are the best species out there, all things considered. Certainly not for everybody, due to their size and potential destructiveness. But personality wise, there is nothing better. They may not have the pretty colors and stripes of a radiated or the spots of a leopard, but they are a very attractive tortoise in my opinion too. If you could comfortably house a pig or a pony, then you can house a sulcata too.

clare n

5 Year Member
Essex uk
A pig would def be comfortable in the garden, it's an odd L shape. Once I get rid of a lot of what I call "space wasting" courtesy of the previous owner, it would be a good size. I must admit yes there are more attractive looking tortoises but the personalities of these little ones yesterday just got me they were fantastic. Phillip is very much like a grumpy old man in that respect he dislikes everyone and anything that goes near him unless it's me. These came across as bold explorers that just HAVE to get involved lol

Status
Not open for further replies.