Sulcata in Melbourne ?

jonckt

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
The Land Below The Wind
Hi,

May I know anyone from Australia ? I have a friend in Melbourne would like to raise sulcata tortoise?

Could anyone indicate where can he find one??

Cheers

Jc

Jc

peasinapod

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Switzerland
Hi,

May I know anyone from Australia ? I have a friend in Melbourne would like to raise sulcata tortoise?

Could anyone indicate where can he find one??

Cheers

Jc

Jc
I'm not from Australia but I came across a few infos for you. There are no native tortoises (land dwelling) in Australia, although there are several quite interesting turtle species. Depending on where your friend lives in Australia there are different rules regarding reptiles, he should contact the local Wildlife Authorities and ask there. He might need a permit or he might only be allowed to keep native species (or both!).

It is possible that it would be illegal for him to keep Sulcatas, that's why he should really ask his Wildlife Department before even planning on buying one.

Edit: Here's a helpful link
https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100424233557AAP3Uq4

Judy@SYR

TFO Sponsor
5 Year Member
Laws in Australia are very strict. They do not allow the importation of any exotic animals (or exportation of native animals) at all. Only professional zoos and the like get exceptions. Your friend won't be able to get a sulcata or any other tortoise. :(

M

Maggie Cummings

Wow! That's the s**ts. I've wondered why I've never seen an Aussie here....

Judy@SYR

TFO Sponsor
5 Year Member
Wow! That's the s**ts. I've wondered why I've never seen an Aussie here....

Yeah. If you ever see an Australian (living in Australia) posting pics of ball pythons, corn snakes, tortoises, or the like...then 99.9% of the time, they are illegal (or lying). They do have their own selection of amazing native reptiles to keep, including Fly River turtles, which are awesome, but they miss out on all the "exotics" from the rest of the world.

M

Maggie Cummings

Yeah. If you ever see an Australian (living in Australia) posting pics of ball pythons, corn snakes, tortoises, or the like...then 99.9% of the time, they are illegal (or lying). They do have their own selection of amazing native reptiles to keep, including Fly River turtles, which are awesome, but they miss out on all the "exotics" from the rest of the world.

Our aquarium just had an exhibit of Fly River turtles. They are quite something. A special species....