Sulcata is sick?

danx

Location (City and/or State)
AZ
Hey everyone,
i’m new to the forum. i’m posting because i’m pretty sure my tortoise is sick and i don’t know what’s wrong. he hasn’t moved in almost a week, it’s like he wants to walk but can’t. he also has not eaten in a few days and hasn’t pooped. i’m really worried. i just lost my other tortoise about a week ago and really don’t wanna lose my baby. what do i do? how can i help him :(

also, I’m aware his set up is small at the moment but i’m still in the process of finishing the bigger one! i just want him to heal first :(

Attachments

• A6C35832-37BA-4B6E-A32F-27903AEA50ED.jpeg
    A6C35832-37BA-4B6E-A32F-27903AEA50ED.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 16

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Hi there and welcome! You will be asked to give us a lot more information as to how he is being kept, the temperatures and humidity levels, substrate, diet etc. Then some of our very experienced people will I am sure be able to advise you and try to save him. How did the other one die? Was he sick too? Did you have them together? All that information is needed, so please provide it so we can help!

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Also are his eyes open and is he soaked daily? Is his humidity correct? I what else do you feed besides romaine? Welcome, we will all try to help but first we know exactly how he is kept and how or what did your other tort die from...

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Without knowing more details, here are the three most common things that cause problems:
  1. Kept too cool, especially at night.
  2. Kept to dry. These are NOT desert animals. They need humidity, hydration and daily soaks.
  3. Wrong breeder. More breeders don't star them correctly in their first few weeks of life and many of them die weeks or months down the road, even when the new owner is doing everything correctly. Read this: https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/hatchling-failure-syndrome.23493/
If number three is your issue, there is nothing anyone can do to save it. If its number 1 or 2, you can fix the problem immediately.