Sulcata landscaping ideas

ryan57

Location (City and/or State)
PA
So, Stump, our (sulcata) is 1863g @ 1 year tomorrow. Weighed in this evening.
IMG_2444.PNG
IMG_2443.PNG

I am assembling the outdoor enclosure for 2023. I'm hoping to stretch the enclosure usefulness to 2 years if possible then I'll build the same thing but a large 16x16 version of the same style in 2025 if possible rather than 2024.

So... his enclosure is 4'x4' -w- an accessible 13x3.5 greenhouse -w- bird netting under the film and an 8x8 protected area -w- chicken wire. There will be temporary bird netting (100'x100') on poles to eliminate attacks from the air over the yard this year.

Tested the greenhouse and it raises the temperature about 25degrees on a sunny day. It was mid 60's outside and in the greenhouse area -w- the cover on it was 92deg. -w- condensation on the top. That's good extending the outdoor time to the 50's when sunny.

Stumps new house is sitting on an old hot tub cover which is R15, isolated on foam not touching the ground so probably R25 or so.
The roof will be a SIP type plywood sandwich of left over 1" foam from my basement projects with a metal roof and the walls completely insulated with no thermal bridging from the shell. 1/4" acrylic will round out the windows...

It will get a deck with railing to scale of course and I need to find a non-toxic stain to use for the whole thing. Any suggestions would be very helpful if you've used it with no issues.

Now back to the landscaping... I'm going to wrap the cinder with 2x10 lumber (stained) with planters in front of the greenhouse and mulch up to the cinder around all the edges to make it easy to mow around.

Looking for scale appropriate ideas for bushes, shrubs, flowers, plants, etc. around his house that would look great and edible of course. Stumps greenhouse will be overflowing with fresh growing food.

IMG_2434.jpg
IMG_2435.jpg
IMG_2436.jpgIMG_2437.jpg
IMG_2439.jpg
Pardon the wire ties and extension cord... it's under construction!