Sulcata Male in New Mexico approx 90LBS TRADE for FEMALE

karen kuehn

Location (City and/or State)
Peralta New Mexico
I have two male sulcatas. I have had them since they were the size of a half dollar. Now about 90-100 LBS each.
This summer they have decided to battle daily. I need to rehome one of the males and or trade for a female.
I live in NM south of ABQ. Please call me if your a serious trader or buyer.

karen

1 505 401 5987

VERY HEALTHY and have had access to graze 3 acres with hay daily. I will want him to have a great new home that is a safe habitat. A good enclosure and safety from prey animals.

11375852_670025116475463_200113938_n.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

karen kuehn

Peralta New Mexico
OH.....well I guess I won't get a female but I either have to put the other boy on the other proberty or fine him a new home.
How much could I sell him for to the right person? 90lbs super healthy.

Is there anyway to get them to stop fighting and rolling each other...this is really a problem daily. Any spray,,,can turtles be fixed?

karen

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
If you have a big enough property, you can keep both of them by building a separating fence, giving each one their own territory. If you go a female, that's what you would have to do to, in order to give the female some respite from the male's constant advances.

Welcome to the Forum!

karen kuehn

Peralta New Mexico
Thank you....what I'm feeling is NO female....I have another 3 acres with pasture. My worry is that racoons run amuck and I don't have the funds to build him a raccoon proof house yet. right now I have separated them with hay bails in their habitat for sleeping. One gets to roam every other day. So they are rotated for now. The aggression seems to be their mission with great intent. They have gotten along for over a decade till now.

Is there any repellant to discourage them for each other? Can they be fixed? Just wondering as Fencing my place is a huge expense.

I guess I will see if I can modify the post. No female. If I were to sell one to a great possible person that was well aware of the care and feeding. What would be a suggested price for a 100LB boy?

Thank you

karen

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Check ads on Kingsnake and other classified reptile places like that. But don't price him higher than the market. It is one of my pet peeves that some people think just because the animal is huge he's worth a lot of money. Then the guy that wants to steal a tortoise to make some money sees over priced ad and thinks he can get a lot of money for a big sulcata. Just not true. I haven't tried to sell or buy a big sulcata, but I think maybe $500 would be too much. Check out the ads and see what you find. The reason they're cheaper is because rescues usually have them to adopt out for free.

karen kuehn

Peralta New Mexico
Yvonne
Thank you I really don't want to part with him unless its a great situation. I have to turtle proof three acres so he can't dig out under the horse fence...They seem to get along with the livestock as well....everyone grazes together. The only thing I am unsure of is biting....do they every snap out? I have had these boys 11 years with no snapping but I am very careful.

karen

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
No, sorry to say, once it starts, they'll continue on until one is chased out of the territory (or dies).

karen kuehn

Peralta New Mexico
Yvonne or anyone in the forum...
Do you know if raccoons will prey upon them while sleeping? My worry that possibly they may get bothered by one. We have plenty off the river here!
Do you think that they would bother a turtle?

karen

motero

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I haven't heard of any large tortoises being hurt by a racoon. But don't underestimate a racoon. In Phoenix large male Sulcatas Sell for $200 to $250. There are lots of adds on Craigslist for 3, 4, or 5 hundred dollars, But you can see them up for months and months, They don't sell till the price is reasonable. Do You know the length of your boys total shell length measured on the bottom. I am visiting NM in August I might be interested in one. But if you find him a good home first, don't wait for me.

karen kuehn

Peralta New Mexico
I don't know the length but my feet are 8 mens so you can see him in the pick. BIG B.

I m gonna just deal with the situation for now and separate them when gone for the day and let one roam at a time while I turtle proof the back a bit more. Its just crazy. He's beautiful so I'm not eager to part with them at all but by August I could be for sure. I won't be letting him go for less thn 500.00 for sure and I would want to see the habitat he would be going too. thanks Motero.

motero

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Random though, What if you made a fence out of straw bales? It is cheap. Would they eat it? Would it last long enough to be worth it? You could put a stake through it so they can't push it around.

karen kuehn

Peralta New Mexico
Motero..good idea and boy they do push it around. I have an old dough boy pool that is a 24 ft round area that I call the tortuga dome. I welded some sort of shell over it. Was hoping to grow non poisonous vines on it for summertime. I have two doors in it and I put about 12 bales in it separating the boys. I have thinking about how to refence and align the property for them. I just need one fat AD job to pay for it all! Seems as they grow it sort of has dictated my life for them with each need they have for living. Its been very interesting.
Thanks for the idea I have to plan for the future for these guys always.

karen

DreamWeaver

Check ads on Kingsnake and other classified reptile places like that. But don't price him higher than the market. It is one of my pet peeves that some people think just because the animal is huge he's worth a lot of money. Then the guy that wants to steal a tortoise to make some money sees over priced ad and thinks he can get a lot of money for a big sulcata. Just not true. I haven't tried to sell or buy a big sulcata, but I think maybe $500 would be too much. Check out the ads and see what you find. The reason they're cheaper is because rescues usually have them to adopt out for free.
Not sure about New Mexico.. But a 100 Sulcata would sell for $800.00 in AZ