Sulcata missing three scutes

JLFB

Location (City and/or State)
Midwest
My 15 year old male sulcata has lost three scutes from the top of his shell—right behind his head. They just cleanly separated from him. He lost one scute last summer after snagging it on a piece of wood in his structure and two more have flaked off within the past week. His appetite and activity level both remain very good. He seems just fine. I took him to a vet last July and I've used chlorhexidine to treat what she suggested is shell rot. Where the scutes came off, the surface that was exposed is very firm. It's creamy white colored and dry & boney—no gooey, bloody, or smelly stuff at all. At this rate, I feel like he's going to lose more—another one looks on the verge of lifting. I've done lots of reading on this forum and I realize he will not grow more scutes. The aesthetics don't concern me, but can he still live a good life while missing part of that outermost plating on his shell? Does that creamy, boney surface offer adequate protection for him? I've had him since he was a two week old hatchling and never had any issues until this. Any info would be helpful. Thank you.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Welcome,It is unusual for a sulcata to get shell rot but does happen.
Another thing to think about. Is after the first scute came off. The scutes on each side would likely be weakened. Easier to loosen up without the support. My vet has reconstructed sulcata shell after the side of the shell was run over by a car. Maybe your vet might be able to reconstructed.
Pictures would help.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
My 15 year old male sulcata has lost three scutes from the top of his shell—right behind his head. They just cleanly separated from him. He lost one scute last summer after snagging it on a piece of wood in his structure and two more have flaked off within the past week. His appetite and activity level both remain very good. He seems just fine. I took him to a vet last July and I've used chlorhexidine to treat what she suggested is shell rot. Where the scutes came off, the surface that was exposed is very firm. It's creamy white colored and dry & boney—no gooey, bloody, or smelly stuff at all. At this rate, I feel like he's going to lose more—another one looks on the verge of lifting. I've done lots of reading on this forum and I realize he will not grow more scutes. The aesthetics don't concern me, but can he still live a good life while missing part of that outermost plating on his shell? Does that creamy, boney surface offer adequate protection for him? I've had him since he was a two week old hatchling and never had any issues until this. Any info would be helpful. Thank you.
I was going to say what Yvonne said.

What size is he and how are you heating him? You can't use light bulbs and CHEs for larger ones. They are not effective and they also "slow burn" the carapace.

Sulcatas don't get shell rot.