Sulcata not pooping

nicoleann2214

Location (City and/or State)
NY
Hi guys. It’s been a couple days and my tortoise hasn’t pooped. I’ve been soaking non stop. He isn’t even bringing his tail down which is unusual for him. If anyone can give me some advice? I am going to be calling the vet tomorrow to see if I can get him in. I’ve given him aloe, pumpkin etc to try to get him to go. Any help I’d appreciate! He’s still eating like a horse and acting fine. Thanks

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Can he bask under 95-100 temps? They have to be able too in order to properly digest their food.
What is his normal diet, enclosure size, temps all over, basking, night, humidity and age and size?

nicoleann2214

NY
Can he bask under 95-100 temps? They have to be able too in order to properly digest their food.
What is his normal diet, enclosure size, temps all over, basking, night, humidity and age and size?
He’s 3 he’s in a giant grow tent for the winter he has all that to bask yes, his enclosure is about 90-95 degrees all around. Humidity is lower for the winter about 75-80 he’s always had high humidity. And he’s fed lots of greens, grass, etc.

nicoleann2214

NY
I
What is his normal diet, enclosure size, temps all over, basking, night, humidity and ag
I let him eat some pumpkin about a week ago and I’m wondering if some of the harder part is stuck or something? Usually when I soak him he pees/urates right away and he isn’t even doing that. His tail is tucked up in his shell tight. Not pooping.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I let him eat some pumpkin about a week ago and I’m wondering if some of the harder part is stuck or something? Usually when I soak him he pees/urates right away and he isn’t even doing that. His tail is tucked up in his shell tight. Not pooping.
They don't poop every day. I wouldn't run off to the vet if he's eating and acting normal. Vets often do more harm than good. Once the pumpkin makes it past the throat, it isn't going to get stuck.

nicoleann2214

NY
They don't poop every day. I wouldn't run off to the vet if he's eating and acting normal. Vets often do more harm than good. Once the pumpkin makes it past the throat, it isn't going to get stuck.
Well I’m only worried because he has had his tail tucked up and he usually poops every 2-4 days

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Well I’m only worried because he has had his tail tucked up and he usually poops every 2-4 days
I've never even noticed if my tortoises have their tails tucked or extended. I would not worry about that. If appetite and activity is all good, temps are correct, and the tortoise is behaving normally, you shouldn't have any problem.

nicoleann2214

NY
I've never even noticed if my tortoises have their tails tucked or extended. I would not worry about that. If appetite and activity is all good, temps are correct, and the tortoise is behaving normally, you shouldn't have any problem.
Okay thanks, how long would become a problem? I guess he’s just not behaving per usual. Usually when he soaks he poops and takes his private part out. He is just acting odd to me lol

nicoleann2214

NY
It’s been about a week and a couple days

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Try the car ride method. If it's cold in New York warm the car up first. Make sure you put him in a box for the trip. For some reason car rides can get them moving.Sounds like you are like me. When your tort changes it's normal behavior. I get worried also,but most the time it ends up being nothing. They just might be changing their routine.

nicoleann2214

NY
Try the car ride method. If it's cold in New York warm the car up first. Make sure you put him in a box for the trip. For some reason car rides can get them moving.Sounds like you are like me. When your tort changes it's normal behavior. I get worried also,but most the time it ends up being nothing. They just might be changing their routine.
Will do thanks Ray

nicoleann2214

NY
He hasn’t touched his food today so far he is showing no interest

nicoleann2214

NY
What is the enclosure size? What are the temperatures? How are you heating him?
His size right now is way too small for him, it’s about 48 by 48 by 80, he is outside in the summer. I’m currently trying to get rid of him as we speak due to this and the weather. I’m using a bunch of CHE bulbs and a basking bulb. His enclosure stays about 80-90 degrees at all times. I soak him in a big long tub to try to give him exercise.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Yes Maggie lol
The reason I'm asking is...I hate to say Tom...but he pointed out to me that possibly Mary was not getting enuf exercise when I posted about her not pooping. Due to the cold weather she's been stuck inside and she doesn't walk around in the shed like my previous Sulcata have. So after Tom said he believed she wasn't getting enuf exercise, I would take her to the farthest corner of all the pens,,,then she had to walk back thru a maze of pens. She doesn't enjoy the weather so she would find her way back to her shed, and I'd capture her and take her back to the corner...etc. So after a few days of that I put her in my bathtub...it worked for Mary...
DSCN0843.JPG
might help you

Attachments

• DSCN0842.JPG
    DSCN0842.JPG
    217.2 KB · Views: 3

nicoleann2214

NY
The reason I'm asking is...I hate to say Tom...but he pointed out to me that possibly Mary was not getting enuf exercise when I posted about her not pooping. Due to the cold weather she's been stuck inside and she doesn't walk around in the shed like my previous Sulcata have. So after Tom said he believed she wasn't getting enuf exercise, I would take her to the farthest corner of all the pens,,,then she had to walk back thru a maze of pens. She doesn't enjoy the weather so she would find her way back to her shed, and I'd capture her and take her back to the corner...etc. So after a few days of that I put her in my bathtub...it worked for Mary...
View attachment 351932
might help you
Thanks Maggie I will try it