Sulcata or leopard

tculpepper50

My husband and I both want a tortoise but he wants a leopard and I want a sulcata. We have our first enclosure set up and we are ready to purchase our tortoise. I would like the more social breed. Any suggestions? :) thanks so much!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The sully will most likely be more social, of course not all of them are. They can also be destructive, can burrow deep tunnels and get much larger then the leopard. They also need more space then the leopard. But I have read where many are dog like in their personality. The GPP leopard is the larger of the two leopards and although I don't own that kind, they say they are a little more social then the GPB, which is what I have and at 2 1/2 years, not scared or shy at all, just not needing to be buy me.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Generally speaking it is my opinion that sulcatas have the best personality of any species. This is however subjective.

A good compromise for you guys might be the South African leopards. They get bigger than the "regular" leopards, but don't have the destructive and burrowing tendencies of the sulcata. In my experience the South African leopards are much more personable and outgoing than the regular leopards, and I find them similar in personality to a sulcata. The downside is they are more expensive and sometimes harder to find.

tculpepper50

Tom said:
Generally speaking it is my opinion that sulcatas have the best personality of any species. This is however subjective.

A good compromise for you guys might be the South African leopards. They get bigger than the "regular" leopards, but don't have the destructive and burrowing tendencies of the sulcata. In my experience the South African leopards are much more personable and outgoing than the regular leopards, and I find them similar in personality to a sulcata. The downside is they are more expensive and sometimes harder to find.

Thanks Tom! I think we're going to go with the sulcata. We have a large backyard and we are willing to give it up to our sulcata haha

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I don't think you will be disappointed. They are a great species.