Sulcata outdoors?

Cassidy M.

Hi, I have a sulcata that is about 1 year and nine months old and 7 Inches long and 5.5 inches across her belly and weighs about 2.5 lbs. I keep her in an inclosure indoors. I live in Phoenix, Arizona and the temperatures range from 110 in the summer to 40 degrees in the winter at extremes. I am confused as too how old or how big she needs to be before she can start living outdoors either most of the time or 24/7. Can someone please specify when she is able to live outside?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
The tortoise can probably live outside now, however, you must be sure to provide a place where it can get out of the heat. An underground burrow serves this purpose nicely.

1028762jld543t69m.gif

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Hello Cassidy: If you gave her a very large outdoor enclosure where she can dig a deep burrow to escape the heat and then you need to build a insulated, heated night house for the winter months.

Please browsing through the enclosure section of the forum you will have some idea of what and which are needed for your Sulcata to live outdoor year round.

Welcome to the forum and good to have you here. Care to share few picture of her?? Thanks.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal