Sulcata tortoise

Misael

Location (City and/or State)
Los Angeles
Hello there. I currently have a sulcata tortoise that is about 7 months and 19 days old. It is 2.5 inches and 3 millimeters big. Is this to small for it's age. Lately I've been seeing 7 month old tortoises that are huge and mine still looks the same size as when I last got it. Thank you

Jan A

Boulder, CO
Hello there. I currently have a sulcata tortoise that is about 7 months and 19 days old. It is 2.5 inches and 3 millimeters big. Is this to small for it's age. Lately I've been seeing 7 month old tortoises that are huge and mine still looks the same size as when I last got it. Thank you
Welcome to the forum. You've come to the right place to get some answers. First, photos of your tort & enclosure would be helpful, as well as answering some questions. Where did you get your tort & was it a hatchling? Are you keeping it in a closed or open enclosure? What are you feeding it & how often are you soaking it? How's his appetite? What are your temps & humidity levels in the enclosure? Like I say, photos are very helpful to the experts.

Reactions: ISU

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Most breeders and sellers start them all wrong. Lack of growth is a usual indicator of this.

This will explain more:

Most of the care info you find for sulcatas is wrong. Pet shops and breeders especially tell people all the wrong stuff. Here is the correct care info:

Questions are welcome.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome!

You're seeing a good example of what having a baby sulcata set up in the proper type of enclosure has to do with how he grows. Read the above linked threads with an open mind, and make changes to how you're caring for and feeding your baby. You'll be surprised at the difference in his growth once you've made the changes.

Misael

Los Angeles
Most breeders and sellers start them all wrong. Lack of growth is a usual indicator of this.

This will explain more:

Most of the care info you find for sulcatas is wrong. Pet shops and breeders especially tell people all the wrong stuff. Here is the correct care info:

Questions are welcome.
Thank you so much for the information. I was so disappointed in myself when I saw all the flaws I've been doing and all the lies I believed from diffrent websites. And because of that my tortoise has suffered for it. In about 2 days I will be constructing a enclosure with much better humidity and UV lighting. Thank you and God bless you guys for the very useful information

Misael

Los Angeles
Welcome to the forum. You've come to the right place to get some answers. First, photos of your tort & enclosure would be helpful, as well as answering some questions. Where did you get your tort & was it a hatchling? Are you keeping it in a closed or open enclosure? What are you feeding it & how often are you soaking it? How's his appetite? What are your temps & humidity levels in the enclosure? Like I say, photos are very helpful to the experts.
I got my tortoise from a pet store that had them all in a tiny hot enclosure. I am currently keeping it in an open enclosure I am feeding it a diffrent variety of greens such as kale,romaine lettuce and grasses and clovers and soak it about three times a week. I have a log that I got from a national park about 8 hours from where I live and carved it to have a hide. My tortoise tends to hide in the log when it is too hor for it. Sometimes my tortoise just doesn't eat alot which worries me.

Last edited:

Jan A

Boulder, CO
I got my tortoise from a pet store that had them all in a tiny hot enclosure. I am currently keeping it in an open enclosure I am feeding it a diffrent variety of greens such as kale,romaine lettuce and grasses and clovers and soak it about three times a week. I have a log that I got from a national park about 8 hours from where I live and carved it to have a hide. My tortoise tends to hide in the log when it is too hor for it. Sometimes my tortoise just doesn't eat alot which worries me.
Hey, no beating yourself up over getting bad info. You searched & found us & we're here to help. Tear the old stuff up. Ask questions. The folks here are great & knowledgeable!! And what they do works!!

Reactions: ISU