Sulcata Psychologist Needed!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anastasia

5 Year Member
Pepper (formerly known as Pete) has become quite sassy these days! She has been pulling into her shell when I talk to her or pick her up, and if I keep talking/interacting, she'll try to "ram" my hand. So I decided to start hand-feeding her treats more often, which she really loves. However, if she goes for a bite and doesn't get any in her mouth (you know how they can be), she instantly gets mad and instead of going for another bite, will just try to ram my hand. Today she actually ran after my hand when I moved it, dodging her first ram! I was trying to show her I had more food and let her take another bite, but she just kept ramming until I gave in and dropped the food in front of her. (Yah, I'm sure that wasn't the best move on my part!) Once she started munching, I grabbed a peice and held it in front of her, so she could see my hand isn't the enemy, and she began eating from my hand again.

Seems like we go through this charade every day. It's not a big deal now when she's only 6.5 inches and 2 lbs, but obviously I want to nip this behavior in the bud before she gets big enough to bowl me over!

Any thoughts or suggestions?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
hand feeding is usually a bad idea (not being critical) it is cute when they are little but when they get boigger nasty injuries can happen. as for the ramming it sounds like she is being territorial, are you sure about the gender?

Anastasia

5 Year Member
Good to know about hand feeding! I just assumed it'd help her warm up to me. What other ways can I get her used to the idea that I'm not the enemy?

I had posted pics here of her when I first got her (only a couple months ago), and general consensus was she's looking to be female.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
they soon realize that you provide food, then your problem will be keeping him/her away form you, they tend to follow you around like puppies once they do warm up, all is needed is time.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
"Move in close folks stay still...see how they slowly jocky into range...line up for the strike...dig in the back feet...oh what form...what determination....they lay wait for their victim...the food fairy..they know she approaches by the sound she makes...they tense up in place....wait for it wait for it....launch, they tuck and launch, ramming the fairy till she drops the score and runs....hahhah ...they are a crafty bunch....shhhhh, let's back away quietly so as not to be the next target.."

Just what I heard while reading your post....:D[/b][/quote]

Missy

5 Year Member
Illinois
Sounds like a male thing, ramming. I agree about the hand feeding. I am guilty at times myself but when Lana tried to bite my hand thinking I had food it was a big eye opener. Try just holding him/her and when he gets comfortable with that and pokes his head out then move on to trying to rub his head. It's a Sully it wont take long they really seem to like attention. Mine all love their head and chin rubbed :)

M

Maggie Cummings

Don't hand feed. I did the same thing, thinking I was 'bonding' with Bob, but then they think your hand is food so like in my case I have a 102 pound tortoise who bites at my hand every time he gets close enough. He has drawn blood more then a couple of times and I will guarantee you that it hurts like hel*. It hurts bad! One time I had on a red long sleeved shirt and without thinking I wiped squash off my fingers by using my sleeve so Bob smelled the squash and saw the red and took a bite out of my forearm. I needed stitches but refused to go. So please don't hand feed. It is bad enough that they think you are the food goddess, but when they think you ARE the food it's bad...

Missy

5 Year Member
Illinois
maggie3fan said:
Don't hand feed. I did the same thing, thinking I was 'bonding' with Bob, but then they think your hand is food so like in my case I have a 102 pound tortoise who bites at my hand every time he gets close enough. He has drawn blood more then a couple of times and I will guarantee you that it hurts like hel*. It hurts bad! One time I had on a red long sleeved shirt and without thinking I wiped squash off my fingers by using my sleeve so Bob smelled the squash and saw the red and took a bite out of my forearm. I needed stitches but refused to go. So please don't hand feed. It is bad enough that they think you are the food goddess, but when they think you ARE the food it's bad...
I think this advise needs to be added to the care sheet for hatchlings.

Status
Not open for further replies.